Can't Silence Notifications Since the New Upgrade

chicksmom

Reaction score
I installed the new upgrade this morning and now I get a notification sound every time I get a new e-mail (which is a lot and which is annoying). I had originally had it set to only notify me when I received a new Text Message, but I can't seem to differentiate them now -- it's just a general "Notification" option in Settings. Anyone know how to correct this?

leobg

Reaction score
Go to inbox and select menu/settings. At the top are email notification options. You can control them (separately) from this place

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

OP
C

chicksmom

Reaction score
Thank you

Thanks so much! Was able to choose "silent" as my ringtone that way and am all set!

NotQuiteADummy

Reaction score
Inbox? I am running Gingerbread on a DROID 2 Global, and I do not see any "inbox". Any help? Thanks.

leobg

Reaction score
Inbox? I am running Gingerbread on a DROID 2 Global, and I do not see any "inbox". Any help? Thanks.

That's the "Email" app. Look for it in the programs. Looks like an open envelope with emerging red post stamp.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

NotQuiteADummy

Reaction score
Thanks!

I had to set up the Google mail with my Gmail account, which is already syncing and has its own button on my home page. But I did get to select "Silence", which is, indeed, golden.

NotQuiteADummy

Reaction score
Well, that did not work. What I want to do is go through a list of the types of notifications and select what sound, if any, each one makes. That was easy in 2.2. And useful, so of course Motorola had to either remove the function or make it hard to find/use. Anyone know if or where the function is in Gingerbread for a D 2 Global? Thanks.

NotQuiteADummy

Reaction score
OK, I think I found it. In Settings, Sound, at the top of the page is a Volume menu. In it you can set the individual volumes for Ringtone, Media, Alarm, and Notification. Still no option to elect sounds for certain types of notification, but this may be the best we get. Bummer that Gingerbread has reduced functionality in this area.

NotQuiteADummy

Reaction score
So now I have BOTH Gmail AND DROID Email notifying me of new mail, although at least silently. How can I pare that back down to one or the other?

As usual...Thanks

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
OK, I think I found it. In Settings, Sound, at the top of the page is a Volume menu. In it you can set the individual volumes for Ringtone, Media, Alarm, and Notification. Still no option to elect sounds for certain types of notification, but this may be the best we get. Bummer that Gingerbread has reduced functionality in this area.
These are the system-wide settings for events that fall under these categories.

If you need to customise notifications, you need to do so in the applications that produce them. By default, they respect the system-wide settings.