Can't establish a reliable data connection...setting up google acct

huskyla27

Reaction score
I'm trying to install a google account i deleted a couple days ago. Every time I try I get this message.. Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server, This could be temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data service.

I've tried it of wifi and 3g, nothing. I've searched these forums and others for answers with no luck.

Any thoughts?

laserbiz

Reaction score
I am also having this problem, I have read that that in order to fix this bug you have to do a hard reset. Some People have sucess using other solutions besides the reset, But these solutions were for phones other than the DroidX.

So anyone out there know of any other solutions? Thanks in advance. ( I really do not want to do a hard reset!)

zippy

Reaction score
Sat on the phone with Verizon then Motorola after trying for a couple of days to add a second Gmail account with the "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server" message. Motorola tried walking me through a number of steps to no avail. The only solution was a factory reset. :(

I never had this problem on my Droid1 so I don't know if it's a Google problem or a Motorola problem. No matter, after the reset all is fine now.

laserbiz

Reaction score
I am hopeing that that update to Froyo on 8/12/10 will solve this problem with out having to reset my phone. (fingers crossed!)

RUjh3

Reaction score
What is Froyo?

I am having a relentless error on my Droid X, with setting up my Rutgers email account on my phone.

First it was repeatedly giving me the authentication error, telling me my user information was incorrect. It wasn't.

Next it would repeatedly tell me it could not connect to Rutgers.

I took the phone to Verizon, and have exchanged several communications with the tech-help service people at RU, and no one i have spoken with has been able to help.

What could a hard reset do for this problem?

weathergirl

Reaction score
@RUjh3 - just a thought. Does Rutgers use Google Apps? If so, try setting up your school email as a second gmail account. I had to do that with my university email, the regular "email" application kept producing the same errors you have.

bremt3

Reaction score
i took my phone in and they told me that mine was missing part of the core program that connects to the 3g network.

what ever happen to quality checks?

wilydodger

Reaction score

I had the same problem adding a second gmail account. It kept timing out and saying "Can't establish a reliable data connection".

The fix that worked for me was to log into the Youtube application on my Droid X with my second gmail account. This setup the gmail account globally on the phone.

Quick note though, I had to be logged out of youtube on the web for it to work. also, you have to setup a youtube account that is linked to the gmail account you want to setup. Just goto youtube and try to login with the gmail account you want to setup, it will walk you through it.

i had to try a couple times in the youtube app, it kept reporting a "network error", but it eventually worked.