Can't delete a text message

blackterry

Reaction score
So my phone has been super slow texting lately and I realized it was only slow with one person who I text frequently. So I decided well maybe I should delete our ongoing conversation and start fresh. Guess what it won't delete. Everytime I try to delete the thread it locks my phone up an I have to do a battery pull. After the battery pull and re start the message is still there undeleted. What do I do short of throwing it on the the street and running it over several times with my truck. ??

On a side not the battery life of these phones is horrid and I wish I would of stayed with my Razr HD Maxx... Other than that it's a good phone.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I assume you are using the stock SMS app. Personally, I use Chomp SMS. I find it to be a much better choice. You may want to download Chomp and see if there is any lag and are able to delete conversations.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
My stock messaging app locks up too now, especially with one person I frequently text. It's been my experience with all my phones that the stock messaging app just plain stinks.

Do yourself a favor an opt for a 3rd party messaging app. I've been using Textra the past couple months and not a single hiccup with it. That same thread that freezes up my stock messaging app, Textra goes through the thread with no issues and it's blazing fast compared to any other messaging app I've used, and I've pretty much used them all.

bbtkd

Reaction score
So my phone has been super slow texting lately and I realized it was only slow with one person who I text frequently. So I decided well maybe I should delete our ongoing conversation and start fresh. Guess what it won't delete. Everytime I try to delete the thread it locks my phone up an I have to do a battery pull. After the battery pull and re start the message is still there undeleted. What do I do short of throwing it on the the street and running it over several times with my truck. ??

On a side not the battery life of these phones is horrid and I wish I would of stayed with my Razr HD Maxx... Other than that it's a good phone.

Try clearing cache for the messaging app. If that doesn't do it clear data for the messaging app, but that could clear all messages - though may be your only choice.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I had the same issue on the Bionic I used to have. Posted about it a few times. Nothing seamed to fix it. VZW employee told me to send a text with a pic to myself. Thought it was the dumbest thing I heard all day, but it worked. They explained that triggers some type of an update for smart phones like the old *228 used to do on dumb phones.

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Is it possible to delete it from inside a file manager? Just thinking out loud here.

absmall2011

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
My stock messaging app locks up too now, especially with one person I frequently text. It's been my experience with all my phones that the stock messaging app just plain stinks.

Do yourself a favor an opt for a 3rd party messaging app. I've been using Textra the past couple months and not a single hiccup with it. That same thread that freezes up my stock messaging app, Textra goes through the thread with no issues and it's blazing fast compared to any other messaging app I've used, and I've pretty much used them all.

I love Textra.. I would much prefer using that over the stock messaging app. However, for some reason whenever I send pictures via Textra it takes FOREVER to send and most of the time fails to send because it times itself out. Do you experience this problem as well? I have changed the messaging limit multiple times to make sure it is low enough, but the app also says that it reduces the data itself as much as necessary in order to send. Do you have any suggestions??? My stock messaging app is freezing up to the point that it is turning my screen completely black and I'm unable to do anything until it comes back on. Plus, I'm getting a message appear daily (sometimes multiple times a day) from "Anonymous" that is completely blank and is difficult to delete. I have AVG and Norton Anitvirus on my phone and have scanned it using both, both resulting in no possible threats or bugs. I'm not sure what is going on. It just started doing this since reloading the stock messaging application, which was only done because of the picture issue with Textra.

Last edited:

bbtkd

Reaction score
I love Textra.. I would much prefer using that over the stock messaging app. However, for some reason whenever I send pictures via Textra it takes FOREVER to send and most of the time fails to send because it times itself out. Do you experience this problem as well? ....

Textra used to do that to me also - not sending pictures. Then after a Textra update a few months ago, it started working.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No issues with Textra for me and they're quick to update too. Great devs working on that app

Tiogaglide

Reaction score
I had the same issue on the Bionic I used to have. Posted about it a few times. Nothing seamed to fix it. VZW employee told me to send a text with a pic to myself. Thought it was the dumbest thing I heard all day, but it worked. They explained that triggers some type of an update for smart phones like the old *228 used to do on dumb phones.
Wow thanks! I tried everything but the send photo to myself is what did it!