Can't change "Verizon Wireless" from notification tray...

billygalbreath

Developer
Reaction score
The typical eri.xml hack on my moto droid works like a charm, however upon examining the eri.xml on my wife's rooted 2.1 eris I have come to discover this is indeed not where "Verizon Wireless" is saved.. bummer.. Anyone find where its located yet? I'll keep searching..

Benny

Reaction score
This hack doesn't even work on my Droid. I get a brick when I try.

OP
billygalbreath

billygalbreath

Developer
Reaction score
ok - tried the hack anyways... i copied everything from my eri.xml between 6.4 and 6.5 and nothing... didnt brick. didnt break anything. and most importantly, it didnt change "Verizon Wireless"

hmm - i'll keep trying.

OP
billygalbreath

billygalbreath

Developer
Reaction score
ok after playing around some more i ended up bricking the damn phone...

but was all good. running the 2.1 root update in hboot (again) saved my life!!

i then continued to play and tried editing the eri.xml file quite a number of different ways.. all yielding with the phone not receiving any serve and the phone app kept force closing..

eventually i gave up on this file and started to look elsewhere. I found a file (/data/local/dmdata/00004) which looked promising, but after editing it quite a number of different ways, nothing happened. so I put it back to normal.

I'm calling it a night, but will again start searching tomorrow for where this stupid string is located. i know its not pulling it out of thin air... for now.. i sleep. 'night!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Prior to the pulldown editor being available you had to use a hex editor and go after a certain file. You can backtrack through the thread I listed above or ask the person who created the editor. I also do not know if your phone's files will be layed out the same as the Droid's but I imagine they are pretty close. I'm assuming you don't own a motorola droid due to the forum section we are in, yet your listed phone seems to indicate you are using a moto droid.

OP
billygalbreath

billygalbreath

Developer
Reaction score
Prior to the pulldown editor being available you had to use a hex editor and go after a certain file. You can backtrack through the thread I listed above or ask the person who created the editor. I also do not know if your phone's files will be layed out the same as the Droid's but I imagine they are pretty close. I'm assuming you don't own a motorola droid due to the forum section we are in, yet your listed phone seems to indicate you are using a moto droid.

I do have a moto droid. And I have done the hex edit putting my name in place of the verizon wireless text on my phone. I'm in the eris forum because I am looking dor the method of doing this to the eris. My wife's eris to be exact.

;)

KeepinItWettt

Reaction score
PullDown Editor

I can't get the PullDown editor to work for me - it generates the files and everything looks OK. I apply the theme, it restarts, and nothing changes. Anyone else getting this issue?

OP
billygalbreath

billygalbreath

Developer
Reaction score
I can't get the PullDown editor to work for me - it generates the files and everything looks OK. I apply the theme, it restarts, and nothing changes. Anyone else getting this issue?

The pulldown editor will only work on the moto droid. Not the eris.

KeepinItWettt

Reaction score

The pulldown editor will only work on the moto droid. Not the eris.

Yeah my fault I should have said that it is on a Droid. Looking at the eri file that was generated, I think the file size is off (read somewhere that it had to be a certain size). Running BBv.08 & Chevy01 5slot 1.1ghz kernel

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
ok - tried the hack anyways... i copied everything from my eri.xml between 6.4 and 6.5 and nothing... didnt brick. didnt break anything. and most importantly, it didnt change "Verizon Wireless"

hmm - i'll keep trying.

My woman also has an Eris...
Just flashed to XTR and really want to get this to work for her...

Did you try spelling out the name like this: B.i.l.l.y?
It doesn't look like the the eri.xl is where the Verizon Wireless
is generated.

jsuh

Reaction score
The best thing to do is push a new eri.xml file, regardless if the file is there or not. I've done it to my Eris a dozen times already.

1. Create a file called eri.xml and put the following in:
<EriFile VersionNumber="1357" NumberOfEriEntries="1" EriFileType="1">
<CallPromptId Id="0" CallPromptText="CallPromptId0"/>
<CallPromptId Id="1" CallPromptText="CallPromptId1"/>
<CallPromptId Id="2" CallPromptText="CallPromptId2"/>
<EriInfo RoamingIndicator="128" IconIndex="1" IconMode="0" EriText="YourBannerHere" CallPromptId="0" AlertId="0"/>
</EriFile>

2. Replace "YourBannerHere" with what you want and save the file.
3. adb push the eri.xml file to /data/
4. Restart your phone