Cannot root after V8

Discussion in 'LG Revolution' started by Ted1737, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Ted1737

Ted1737 New Member

My wifes Revo was rooted and received the recent V8 update. This update lost root.
    None of the rooting apps and procedures are able to reroot the Revo.
    Can't find much info about this. Am I alone in this?

Sent from my Bionic.
  2. ShermCraig

ShermCraig New Member

Hi. I consider myself fairly well versed (or so I thought) in rooting phones but I cannot seem to root my wife's Revolution V8. I've tried both Super One Click and the LG Revolution All in One to no avail. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Craig
  3. Ted1737

Ted1737 New Member

Guess we are alone with this issue Craig.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  4. albanyalan

albanyalan New Member

You guys figure this out yet? Check out these threads. Should resolve ALL of your problems.

To root you must first get CWM on your phone first. Use the steps in this link:
    ***Easiest Method for Keeping Root Thru the ZV8 Update*** - xda-developers

This link will install a stable rom with no bloatware. Currently the dev is working on the kernel source so we can overclock, undervolt etc.
    [Rom][4-2-12][ZV8]Broken Out Revo 1.1 - xda-developers

Let me know if this works for you! I was having the same problems you guys had. The dev MTMichaelson on XDA is a friggin genius and made it really easy for revolution users. Good luck!
  5. kxhan15

kxhan15 New Member

downgrading

This method does work, but it requires you to downgrade. furthermore the files used in this method are only for a pc. i am just waiting for v8 to be rootable
  6. albanyalan

albanyalan New Member

I forgot to mention that yes you have to downgrade, but once you downgrade and root, you can update to zv8 and keep root. Also, if you just want to run stock software with no bloat, use this link (still requires root):
    Remove Bloatware from Stock ZV8 - xda-developers
  7. SmokinHawtVegasChic

SmokinHawtVegasChic New Member

I can't even get my REVO to update. Many people have had to get a new phone with V8 preinstalled. Anyone else know about this?
  8. albanyalan

albanyalan New Member

What are the symptoms? Have you tried any of MT's All-In-One root and update files on XDA?
  9. Fuller51

Fuller51 New Member

Roll back?

Please help on how to roll back the revo from v8 without bricking please help dont really know what im doing
  10. SmokinHawtVegasChic

Symptoms: OTA tried to push....had root so unrooted ... tried to push again...failed. Keeps failing...has been failing fir over 2weeks now. It is causing a lot of issues with my phone now. Burning memory, restarting 7-10 times a day, freezing etc. Haven't put the root back on yet either. Don't know what MTs is...nor XDA. Explain please.
  11. SmokinHawtVegasChic

PS~half the time I don't get 1x-4g either.
  12. albanyalan

albanyalan New Member

XDA is a developer site just like this one (droidforums), but larger and covers more phones. MtMichaelson is a developer for the LG Revo specifically. He is the man.

Download all of your drivers for the phone. turn on usb debugging and tether phone to computer in "internet connection" mode. First you have to flash clockworkmod onto your phone first, then download MtMichaelson's All-In-One root program and run the .bat file. You'll have the option to root, unroot, stock recovery etc. Chose the option that you would like to do. In your case you want to update to ZV8 and root, so i believe you will have to put ZV7 back to stock first which is an option in the program. untether phone, update to zv8, then apply root once more. I recommend flashing Mt's Broken Out Revo ROM. It's pretty much stock Gingerbread with no bloatware. Let me know if you run into any trouble.

This link is for Mt's All-in-One program:
    ***Easiest Method for Keeping Root Thru the ZV8 Update*** - xda-developers

This link is for Mt's Broken Out Revo rom:
    [Rom][4-2-12][ZV8]Broken Out Revo 1.1 - xda-developers

This link is for the new Blitz kernel so you can undervolt and overclock your cpu. You will have to flash this in ClockWorkMod recovery. do this after you root and get his rom on your phone:
    http://db.tt/wRYwpwNF
    1 person likes this.
  13. SmokinHawtVegasChic

Is this the name of the drivers for my phone? These are the only ones I can find "LG VZW_United_WHQL_v2.3.1.msi"
  14. SmokinHawtVegasChic

Okay, so...here is my new dilemma. I don't have CWM on my phone, I found a video that told me how to boot to it, but didn't know the phone needed to be rooted first to even get CWM. I followed the video instructions here ... and it wiped my phone. Now I don't know what to do after that. So my phone is back to stock, I'm assuming. Should I go from here...to do the root and everything else you said? I'm so semi-technically challenged...as long as I have step by step instructions, I can do pretty much anything once then do it all almost by memory from there.
  15. SmokinHawtVegasChic

PS ~ there are files in his Root that are winzip files. I don't have winzip and I'm too cheap to pay 30 bucks for it. I can't unzip them for whatever reason and can't find the .dat file. I'm looking in the ZV7 to ZV8 folder and these are the files I see:

Data folder
    META-INF folder
    system folder
    boot winzip file
    installbusybox file
    recovery winzip file

I'm confused and don't understand what to do next. Will wait for your response, sorry for all the mesages. Just really confused and discouraged cause my phone is wiped.
  16. MrCatPC

MrCatPC Member

Grab http://www.7-zip.org/, free open-source file compression/extraction ... I use Windows XP/Vista/7's compressed files handler to open .zip files in most cases but 7zip works well for that & other types of compressed data. I've used WinRAR & WinZip in the past, but alas I too am too cheap to pay for license beyond trialware period. I like freeware when it works well :)K

Decompressed Transmission from R2D2
  17. SmokinHawtVegasChic

It only copies the files I need to extract. It won't extract them at all. Keeps saying "Cannot open file C:/...../...../...." Am I doing something wrong?
  18. SmokinHawtVegasChic

Alan you are GRRRRRRREAT!!! Like flippin Tony the Tiger, my darling!!! This specific deal didn't work but I found out how to at least get my ZV8 on my Revo, so I don't have to worry about that dar-gone OTA trying to push anymore. Now to just work on getting the root back on it. Thank you so much darling.
  19. albanyalan

albanyalan New Member

Sorry I usually stick to XDA and don't check this site often. I apologize. I am learning as I go and it seems like if you don't do each step precisely then you might eff **** up. If you need anymore help please feel free to contact me via facebook. Alan Boone | Facebook
    My fb account is tied to my phone and my phone number is listed in my info. Feel free to shoot me a friend request and text me.

p.s. it's not because you're a smokin hot vegas chick ;) just trying to pay it forward because i got a lot of help trying to root my phone.
Search tags for this page
broke out lucid rom
broken out revo rom v1
brokenout revo

can't root lg revolution

divx vod android
how to jailbreak a droid
lg revolution keeps failing update
lg spectrum zv8 root
mt michaelson all in one root
one click root for lg lucid
revo zv8 gb stock