Cannot root after V8

Ted1737

Reaction score
My wifes Revo was rooted and received the recent V8 update. This update lost root.
None of the rooting apps and procedures are able to reroot the Revo.
Can't find much info about this. Am I alone in this?

Sent from my Bionic.

ShermCraig

Reaction score
Hi. I consider myself fairly well versed (or so I thought) in rooting phones but I cannot seem to root my wife's Revolution V8. I've tried both Super One Click and the LG Revolution All in One to no avail. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Craig

OP
Ted1737

Ted1737

Reaction score
Guess we are alone with this issue Craig.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

albanyalan

Reaction score
You guys figure this out yet? Check out these threads. Should resolve ALL of your problems.

To root you must first get CWM on your phone first. Use the steps in this link:
***Easiest Method for Keeping Root Thru the ZV8 Update*** - xda-developers

This link will install a stable rom with no bloatware. Currently the dev is working on the kernel source so we can overclock, undervolt etc.
[Rom][4-2-12][ZV8]Broken Out Revo 1.1 - xda-developers

Let me know if this works for you! I was having the same problems you guys had. The dev MTMichaelson on XDA is a friggin genius and made it really easy for revolution users. Good luck!

kxhan15

Reaction score
downgrading

You guys figure this out yet? Check out these threads. Should resolve ALL of your problems.

To root you must first get CWM on your phone first. Use the steps in this link:

This link will install a stable rom with no bloatware. Currently the dev is working on the kernel source so we can overclock, undervolt etc.

Let me know if this works for you! I was having the same problems you guys had. The dev MTMichaelson on XDA is a friggin genius and made it really easy for revolution users. Good luck!

This method does work, but it requires you to downgrade. furthermore the files used in this method are only for a pc. i am just waiting for v8 to be rootable

albanyalan

Reaction score
This method does work, but it requires you to downgrade. furthermore the files used in this method are only for a pc. i am just waiting for v8 to be rootable

I forgot to mention that yes you have to downgrade, but once you downgrade and root, you can update to zv8 and keep root. Also, if you just want to run stock software with no bloat, use this link (still requires root):
Remove Bloatware from Stock ZV8 - xda-developers

Fuller51

Reaction score
Roll back?

I forgot to mention that yes you have to downgrade, but once you downgrade and root, you can update to zv8 and keep root. Also, if you just want to run stock software with no bloat, use this link (still requires root):
Remove Bloatware from Stock ZV8 - xda-developers

Please help on how to roll back the revo from v8 without bricking please help dont really know what im doing

Reaction score
albanyalan said:
What are the symptoms? Have you tried any of MT's All-In-One root and update files on XDA?

Symptoms: OTA tried to push....had root so unrooted ... tried to push again...failed. Keeps failing...has been failing fir over 2weeks now. It is causing a lot of issues with my phone now. Burning memory, restarting 7-10 times a day, freezing etc. Haven't put the root back on yet either. Don't know what MTs is...nor XDA. Explain please.

albanyalan

Reaction score
Symptoms: OTA tried to push....had root so unrooted ... tried to push again...failed. Keeps failing...has been failing fir over 2weeks now. It is causing a lot of issues with my phone now. Burning memory, restarting 7-10 times a day, freezing etc. Haven't put the root back on yet either. Don't know what MTs is...nor XDA. Explain please.
XDA is a developer site just like this one (droidforums), but larger and covers more phones. MtMichaelson is a developer for the LG Revo specifically. He is the man.

Download all of your drivers for the phone. turn on usb debugging and tether phone to computer in "internet connection" mode. First you have to flash clockworkmod onto your phone first, then download MtMichaelson's All-In-One root program and run the .bat file. You'll have the option to root, unroot, stock recovery etc. Chose the option that you would like to do. In your case you want to update to ZV8 and root, so i believe you will have to put ZV7 back to stock first which is an option in the program. untether phone, update to zv8, then apply root once more. I recommend flashing Mt's Broken Out Revo ROM. It's pretty much stock Gingerbread with no bloatware. Let me know if you run into any trouble.

This link is for Mt's All-in-One program:

This link is for Mt's Broken Out Revo rom:

This link is for the new Blitz kernel so you can undervolt and overclock your cpu. You will have to flash this in ClockWorkMod recovery. do this after you root and get his rom on your phone:
http://db.tt/wRYwpwNF

Reaction score
XDA is a developer site just like this one (droidforums), but larger and covers more phones. MtMichaelson is a developer for the LG Revo specifically. He is the man.

Download all of your drivers for the phone. turn on usb debugging and tether phone to computer in "internet connection" mode. First you have to flash clockworkmod onto your phone first, then download MtMichaelson's All-In-One root program and run the .bat file. You'll have the option to root, unroot, stock recovery etc. Chose the option that you would like to do. In your case you want to update to ZV8 and root, so i believe you will have to put ZV7 back to stock first which is an option in the program. untether phone, update to zv8, then apply root once more. I recommend flashing Mt's Broken Out Revo ROM. It's pretty much stock Gingerbread with no bloatware. Let me know if you run into any trouble.

This link is for the new Blitz kernel so you can undervolt and overclock your cpu. You will have to flash this in ClockWorkMod recovery. do this after you root and get his rom on your phone:

Is this the name of the drivers for my phone? These are the only ones I can find "LG VZW_United_WHQL_v2.3.1.msi"

Reaction score

Okay, so...here is my new dilemma. I don't have CWM on my phone, I found a video that told me how to boot to it, but didn't know the phone needed to be rooted first to even get CWM. I followed the video instructions here [video=youtube;FLb5VJTEDL8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLb5VJTEDL8[/video] ... and it wiped my phone. Now I don't know what to do after that. So my phone is back to stock, I'm assuming. Should I go from here...to do the root and everything else you said? I'm so semi-technically challenged...as long as I have step by step instructions, I can do pretty much anything once then do it all almost by memory from there.

Reaction score

PS ~ there are files in his Root that are winzip files. I don't have winzip and I'm too cheap to pay 30 bucks for it. I can't unzip them for whatever reason and can't find the .dat file. I'm looking in the ZV7 to ZV8 folder and these are the files I see:

Data folder
META-INF folder
system folder
boot winzip file
installbusybox file
recovery winzip file

I'm confused and don't understand what to do next. Will wait for your response, sorry for all the mesages. Just really confused and discouraged cause my phone is wiped.