Camera settings?

mitchb2

Reaction score
Is there a setting on the Droid somewhere that allows you to set the camera to "Not Crap" ?!

Why is a 5MP camera set to Super Fine generating a 1 MB file that looks like it came from the old disc camera I had 20 years ago?

eliassami5

Reaction score
what are you expecting? DSLR quality from a camera phone? In good lighting and a steady hand it works beautifully as a point and shoot.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
gotta say I agree with elia5 it's simply a good daytime camera... that's aboot it. def not a photog quality, professional model.

Crazy

Reaction score
My Droid shoots amazing photos during the daylight outside.. but you can't expect much from a phone.. especially at night.

Think about it.. have you seen any cameras that takes good night pictures? nope, don't think so..

rlrandallx

Reaction score
Has anyone developed a "mirror" app yet?

For a front facing camera, a "mirror" app would simply make a horizontal flip on the picture and voila! you have a mirror! Wouldn't that help sell Droids to the fairer sex and the narcissistic?
rlrandallx

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there a setting on the Droid somewhere that allows you to set the camera to "Not Crap" ?!

Why is a 5MP camera set to Super Fine generating a 1 MB file that looks like it came from the old disc camera I had 20 years ago?
MP is pixel count. That's it. There are many, many more factors that affect image quality. Settings can't overcome whatever hardware limitations exist with the camera. It performs very poorly in anything but bright light (e.g. outdoors in midday sun).

what are you expecting?
I expect decent snapshots in less-than-ideal lighting. I don't carry around lighting gear for my cell phone's camera. My prior device had a fairly decent (let's say "usable in bars" as a guideline) camera so I don't see why it's unreasonable to expect the same from the Droid.

I don't think anyone's expecting it to rival Canon or Nikon's flagship models (with which the lenses really matter more anyway).

Taegost

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been less than enthused with the camera. It takes great pictures in the right conditions, but most of the pictures I take are in medium to low-light conditions...
Which it does ok with, unless you're in camcorder mode. I noticed that mode will automatically make everything several shades darker, which makes it hard to take video of my kitten being stupid without flipping on a light and disturbing him!

jenfavre

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct place but I'm having a problem with the camera on my Droid X changing resolution on its own. I noticed even outdoor bright daylight pictures were coming out looking like utter crap. When I checked the info on the pictures, they are at 928x704 pixels even though in my settings I have 8MP selected. Even in the upper left corner of my screen it says 8MP. Upon further inspection of various photos they range anywhere from 928x704 to the full 8MP resolution. The only thing I can think of is some of these pictures were taken in the "landscape" setting but I can't see why that would reduce it to such an incredibly low resolution. Even in "landscape" the 8MP still shows in the upper left. This is my first Droid and so far I have been nothing but disappointed with the camera on this phone. There has to be some kind of explanation. Has anyone experienced this or am I missing something elementary?

glenn

Reaction score
with the new 2.2 settings, the camera now has an exposure control and it can finally take natural light photos in relative darkness. This is a BIG plus for me. and like all here have said, it takes fantastic photos in good lighting (outdoor daylight, brightly lite interior). I think it does a GREAT job for a PDA "phone" and the new Froyo 2.2 enhancements just made it so much better!

beckx020

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but I don't like this camera either. Perhaps if I can get some help?

This camera takes GIANT pictures that others can't open when I text them. So, how to get a smaller more normal size without cropping 5 times? I would like decent pics.

Thank you

eliassami5

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but I don't like this camera either. Perhaps if I can get some help?

This camera takes GIANT pictures that others can't open when I text them. So, how to get a smaller more normal size without cropping 5 times? I would like decent pics.

Thank you

when you select a pic to send over txt it should automatically be compressed to MMS quality. If its not doing that then idk what to say.