1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

The Camera SUCKS...

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by cklepinger, Feb 27, 2010.

1. cklepinger

cklepinger New Member

Is there anything I can do to make this camera be any better in terms of pic quality?
    I came from a blackberry storm2 and it had a 3.2 the blew this camera away.... please tell me there is an app worth buying that takes good pics?

I mean the file size for 5MP pics should be well over 1.5 MB and they are under 800K

I use my camera ALL THE TIME... so its kind of essential I get this thing clicking...

I looked through the apps but don't want to buy anything and it be crap too..

Thanks..
  2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

Get Pro Zoom Camera 5X from the market. It is head and shoulders above the native app in every way.
  3. cklepinger

cklepinger New Member

yes i know you can manipulate the pics with this software, but does it improve the grainy crappy pics that the droid takes?
  4. BayouFlyFisher

Dramatically.
  5. MontyMo

MontyMo New Member

I new that camera was "less than ideal" when I bought my Droid. I think it is the weakest part of the phone. That said, I still am VERY happy with the Droid
    Monty
  6. cklepinger

cklepinger New Member

I love the droid too, I am not a major photographer by any means, but I do a lot of sailing and it would be nice to take higher quality bigger file sized pictures on the fly... I thought the droid just sucked in the sense of pics with low light, but I took some pics today in a bright setting and they still sucked.. ha.. I will download this program and give it a try...
  7. ShowTime

ShowTime New Member

It's a cameraphone. It takes better pics than any other cameraphone I've had. I'm not expecting anything beyond mediocre pics at best because, again, it's a cameraphone. There's a reason I have a digital camera...
  8. cklepinger

cklepinger New Member

Thats no excuse.. I have a 3.2 MP storm 2 sitting here that looks better then most digital cameras...

I dont want to carry around a camera for on the fly things that I'm working on that I need to snap a pic of... I archive every picture I take, and it would just me nice if it lived up to its 5MP name.. thats all..
  9. cklepinger

cklepinger New Member

It is not a camera phone... its a smart phone with a camera...
  10. jimnutt

jimnutt New Member

Huh. I've been very happy with the pictures the camera takes. Do you have the picture quality set to Superfine and the Picture Size to 5M Pixels? I don't know what the defaults are, but that would make a difference. My pictures typically take up more than 1Mb of space. Sure, the low light quality isn't great, but no cameraphone has decent low light capability (not enough room for a big enough sensor).
  11. Ziffy

Ziffy New Member

I would be more interested in knowing why when I turn the camera vertically, it doesn't take 5mp shots! Also, I notice sometimes when I take a picture, even though I never changed my settings, the pictures aren't 5mp.

This seems to be a programming issue which I hope they fix in 2.1.

One more thing I would love to know, if anybody else is using the BodyGlove case, do you have an issue with the case impeding with the pictures? Meaning...when I take a picture, I have to be sure to move or remove the clip in the back so it doesn't show an imperfection in the corner of the picture. One other issue is if I am using the flash...the case is constructed in a way that it creates a fuzzy glare on the picture because the flash is reflected off the case.

Anyone??

Z
  12. BayouFlyFisher

Are you using Pro Zoom Camera 5X from the market?
  13. Ziffy

Ziffy New Member

No, I don't use any camera apps on the phone. I would think the camera should function correctly on its own. Shouldn't it? At least take a 5mp picture if I set it to 5mp. I don't think I'm asking too much...just for it to do what it says it is going to do.
  14. BayouFlyFisher

I thought you were looking for a solution. Sorry. I totally misunderstood.
  15. bllarkin

bllarkin New Member

What do you mean it doesn't take 5 MP pictures? Like the resolution is lower? Can you give us an example of the resolution of a 5 MP vs. non-5 MP picture?
  16. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

No man, he came here to complain. Solutions. I hate it when people bring those up.;)
  17. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

I thought it took pretty descent pics, im not photographer though, is this a good quality pic?

Attached Files:

18. Ziffy

Ziffy New Member

I am sorry if my reply came off as complaining. I can try to explain it, and possibly later I can post some pics. For example, the image size is 2592x1936 on a 5mp picture, however when you take a picture holding the camera vertically the size is always smaller. I have one that is actually 864x656! I never changed my settings, so I guess I am wondering if this happens to anybody else.

Thanks!

Z
  19. bllarkin

bllarkin New Member

I just checked all of the pictures that I have taken in the vertical orientation and all seem to be fine.
  20. droidtom

droidtom New Member

I do hate that so many of the threads are now coming across sounding like complaining which reminds me of crackberry, but in this case, he does have a point. I too had a BB Storm though mine was gen 1. The single LED flas on that thing was SUPER bright and the camera was awesome. You can tell how bright the flash is by switching it to video mode and going in a dark room. The BB one would light up the room well. It made nightime photos work well. I do think there's a hardware limitation here and it's probably somewhat of a limitation of the thickness of the back chassis since we have the slide out. But, I'm about to download the app you guys are suggesting to see if it makes a difference. There were updates with BB that did cause the camera to work differently so I had been holding out for 2.1 to see if the camera implementation was better. But, I'm bored of waiting and would love for the camera to work better.
Search tags for this page
droid camera sucks
droid2 takes small file size pics at 5mp
motorola m camera sucks
my a855 camera takes dark videos

picture review time galaxy s3

pinger on droid a855