Camera is not able to initiate

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
Ok so wifes phone has done this twice now. When it happens until it is fixed the phone will then restart after you click on the launch camera button. Somewhere between multiple restarts, force close, and wiping data. It will work again. Is there any way to avoid this or a faster fix?

Tried the factory reset. before installing any apps the camera did not work.

also her phone is completely stock no root or modifications.

also just tried $3 camera FX Zoom
same issure no pop up just doesnt start up...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

schatzy62

Reaction score
Ok so wifes phone has done this twice now. When it happens until it is fixed the phone will then restart after you click on the launch camera button. Somewhere between multiple battery pulls, force close, and wiping data. It will work again. Is there any way to avoid this or a faster fix?

Sure you are in the right forum. The battery on the Droid 4 is not easily removable and requires soldering so doing a "battery pull" is no easy task.

I would do a factory reset and see if that helps. Then add apps slowly to see if one of those is causing your problems.

OP
TOMMYBOT

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
Lol battery pull is one of my standard thought process for fixes so I added that in by habit. We didn't touch her battery. Ill suggest it to her to try the reset.

OP
TOMMYBOT

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
Factory reset did not work. did a factory reset and with out installing anything she went to the camera and it did the "camera is unable to initialize"

OP
TOMMYBOT

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
still not working did a hard reset through the recovery menu, and had it not restore any apps to see if there would be a problem from the aps. still the camera does not initialize.
could there be some driver or something i could put on the phone that could run it?
or is it a hard ware problem?
cause if it is lol were kinda screwed cause we have nothing covering the phone as is >.>

bigmatty

Reaction score
still not working did a hard reset through the recovery menu, and had it not restore any apps to see if there would be a problem from the aps. still the camera does not initialize.
could there be some driver or something i could put on the phone that could run it?
or is it a hard ware problem?
cause if it is lol were kinda screwed cause we have nothing covering the phone as is >.>

Hello, I am going through and finding posts re: DROID4 and camera and posting my 2 cents worth. Since upgrading to ICS two times I have had the camera stop working, the first time I did a factory reset via Privacy menu choice, chose to not erase user data. This fixed it that time. The second time was today, and using Privacy menu choice and either leaving or erasing user data would NOT fix it. Then I used the volume up/down/power key combo to boot to the boot menu. From there I accidentally chose one of the random items (because I was trying to scroll up and not actually select, but silly me forgot up = select), then the phone rebooted and the camera worked again! I then did the volume up/down/power key and used Restore to wipe phone (just to be safe) and the camera continued to work. I gathered from this that there is a difference between OS initiated wipe and firmware initiated wipe. Hope this info helps someone out there...

bigmatty

Reaction score
Hello, I am going through and , < SNIP! > wipe. Hope this info helps someone out there...

Ok, forget what I was saying there. It happened again today, so I got the *ahem* "opportunity" to fix it again - this time I have a much more bullet-proof fix... I found that if I first power off, then remove the SD card, then boot, then access camera it will work. Then power off again, insert SD card, boot, then access camera it will continue to work.

HTH!
~bigmatty

MissMariebee

Reaction score
Thanks!

I was having this issue for several days. Ever since the big update my phone acts like an IDIOT. I tried restarting but didn't work. So I did the powering down, taking the battery and memory card out and it worked!! Whew, thought I ruined my Christmas videos but they work now!

bigmatty

Reaction score
Glad to help!

This happened again to me a couple days ago (about the 5th time total). For the first time I had to try the "remove SD card" procedure twice to get it to work. I tried it twice right in a row, nothing in between. First time it did not work, second time it did. One thing that I did do different is, before I started the first time I tried to use the "unmount SD card" software option. I then re-mounted it, it did not resolve the issue... (So then I tried my manual procedure.) SO - sometimes you will need to do this more than once.

I hope Verizon / Motorolla / Google fixes this on the next update! :)

LJTech

Reaction score
Glad to help!

This happened again to me a couple days ago (about the 5th time total). For the first time I had to try the "remove SD card" procedure twice to get it to work. I tried it twice right in a row, nothing in between. First time it did not work, second time it did. One thing that I did do different is, before I started the first time I tried to use the "unmount SD card" software option. I then re-mounted it, it did not resolve the issue... (So then I tried my manual procedure.) SO - sometimes you will need to do this more than once.

I hope Verizon / Motorolla / Google fixes this on the next update! :)

I tried this when my Droid 4 camera button stopped working. Pressing the camera icon caused a momentary blanking of the screen, followed by a return to the home screen. Doing anything with the SD card didn't help me. My phone is rooted, so I did the Power/Up/Down Volume button hold to boot into the alternate menu. I selected the option to "wipe cache partition". Then I selected the option to reboot. When it came back up normally, the camera worked as usual! Good luck to others.

richsapf

Reaction score
camera not working droid 4

Hi LJTech,

I just had the same symptom and did the same recovery boot-wipe cache- but :-( no help. Not rooted ONLY because of that stupid q/q 0/0 monitor on the recovery menu.

I dropped my phone twice from about two feet from the ground a few days ago but camera worked after(I also have the hard shell protector on phone which I am sure took some of the impact and these phones are made to take a little abuse I'm sure.

Sorry, my point- Does anyone think it is a hardware issue or one of the 50 or so apps I am running? Getting ready to do a factory reset from recovery menu buuuuuuuut would like to find an easier fix, like if anyone has ever attributed a specific app install to cause camera issue? I just installed a keyboard app that has been kinda squirrely so i uninstalled it but no help.

Take care all
Thanks in advance for any input
happy s.p. day :biggrin:
Rich

Last edited: