Caller ID Picture Size

drjimmy

Reaction score
Hi, I apologize if this is a dumb question, but this is my first Android phone and Google hasn't yielded any solutions.

For Droid 3 owners, is it normal for the Caller ID photo that shows up when receiving a call from one of your contacts to be relatively tiny and blurry?? I have tried adding contacts to my "Phone Backup" account (as opposed to Gmail), manually setting a high resolution contact picture taken on the spot with the camera or pulled from an SD card, but, no matter what, when that person calls, the contact picture is tiny (square, probably less than a quarter of the screens smallest horizontal resolution, practically a thumbnail... in fact it probably is upscaled from the even smaller pic that appears next to each contact when scrolling through the list).

I've read forum posts talking about how contact photos pulled from Gmail will be small, but how you can change the "Only show pictures that I've chosen for my contacts" setting in Gmail to avoid it overwriting pics that you manually set on the phone... none of this had any effect for me. Any contact pictures that I manually add to the Gmail or built-in Phone Backup accounts in my contacts show up tiny in caller ID.

Is this just how it is? I noticed that there are 1 or 2 paid fullscreen caller ID apps in the Android Market, but the reviews are mixed. When older Droid models have been rooted, is this the kind of UI (lack of) feature that has been improved by custom ROMs?

Thanks!

sarreq

Reaction score
if the contact pic you have set is small, then our will site up blurry, as it's being resized.

OP
D

drjimmy

Reaction score
Thanks, but I can select a high resolution photo or use the option within contacts to take and set a photo w/ the camera and it still shows up small and blurry in the caller ID. The image is definitely being resized automatically...