Calendar will not sync events earlier than the previous month

Rockhead

Reaction score
I have many calendar events from previous months that I would like to have access to on my Droid. They show up correctly on the Google Calendar but when I do to sync the Droid it only show the previous month.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? It can't be a storage issue considering I just purchased the Droid and it has plenty of memory.

subguy812

Reaction score
I have many calendar events from previous months that I would like to have access to on my Droid. They show up correctly on the Google Calendar but when I do to sync the Droid it only show the previous month.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? It can't be a storage issue considering I just purchased the Droid and it has plenty of memory.
Was this ever answered?

OP
R

Rockhead

Reaction score
No it was not. If you have a fix please let me know

chuckmcc

Reaction score
Can't see events from previous month

Please forgive the fact that I cannot help you--but I notice you posted this a while back. Did you ever find and answer to this, anywhere? Thanks.

OP
R

Rockhead

Reaction score
No this was never answered. Do you have any thoughts?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Not a solution, but a workaround. If the events are on the Google Calendar on the web, simply access the Google Calendar via your web browser.

OP
R

Rockhead

Reaction score
Thanks jsh1120, yup I know about that option. I am coming from a Palm Treo which contains all past calendar events. From what I have read there is no way to display more than 1 months past events - which I believe is a major flaw. I do not think it has anything to do with permanent vs. user initiated syncing. What I would really love is a native replacement calendar app - not widget that pull from the google calendar. Oh how I miss Datebook app on the Palm.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks jsh1120, yup I know about that option. I am coming from a Palm Treo which contains all past calendar events. From what I have read there is no way to display more than 1 months past events - which I believe is a major flaw. I do not think it has anything to do with permanent vs. user initiated syncing. What I would really love is a native replacement calendar app - not widget that pull from the google calendar. Oh how I miss Datebook app on the Palm.

Now I'm confused. I just entered a fictitious event on my google calendar from January 2010 and it shows up both on my Droid and on my Google desktop calendar. Likewise, it shows up in my Outlook calendar from two months ago.

So now I guess I don't understand what problem you're having.

Edit: Ah, wait. Now I see what you mean. While I can enter events in the past and they'll synch correctly, the original synch of my google account with my outlook didn't bring those old events over. Is that right?

OP
R

Rockhead

Reaction score
It's interesting...since my first post back in Nov. It appears that the Droid Calendar app now stores 2 months of appointments when it was originally one. My web-based Google Calendar retains everything from the past. Possibly this was part of the 2.01 update. Who knows what other tricks lie in the 2.1 update.

bigair

Reaction score
I have seen the same problem and believe it is a Google issue. My January on my phone is blank, but on my web based Google calendar it is full of appointments. I found that if I add a new event on the PC based calendar it appears on the phone after the next sync. Using that info I tried exporting all my calendar events from the PC based calendar and then without even deleting the calendar I imported them again. As soon as the phone resynched all the events were back on the phone. I did nothing to the phone at all, so I think it is a problem with Google not the phone. The reason the events were wiped off the phone in the first place probably has to do with the numerous roms I have tried. Try it and see if it works for you.

damianfuah

Reaction score
The way to solve this problem is to add calendar entries to Google Calendar AFTER the phone initially syncs with with Google Calendar.

I sync my Outlook Calandar with Google Calandar then my phone syncs with Google Calendar. I deleted all my Google Calendar entries (about 6,000 entries going back 15 years), then reloaded them. Had no problems except for a few dozen duplicate entries on my phone. The whole process took about an hour.

sandman1987

Reaction score
I was able to get my old entries to load a different way. I tricked the phone basically. I changed the date on the phone to an older date then told the phone to sync and it loaded all the events from that date forward (up to about 12 or 13 months I think, I only changed the date to 12 months ago). Then I changed the date back on the phone to the current date, told it to sync now, and voila I had past, current, and future events on my Droid X calendar. It only took about 10 min from start to finish.

deviant.ollam

Reaction score
Solution to the Android/Google Calendar "old event" problem!

Wow, people... all i can say is "Happy New Year!" because i think i may have solved this f'ing horrible Google Calendar problem in Android of phones failing to show events older than a month or two.

First of all... let's cover some basics of what is actually happening because i'm afraid i have seen a lot of misinformation in a lot of threads.

1. The phones are syncing properly, they are just not choosing to list/display certain events. (If you go in your Google Calendar via the web, everything is still there)

2. This is likely due to a weird desire to save resources or some such. I have NEVER seen a phone take an actual performance hit with loads of events in the calendar dating back ages.

3. The software in Android only represses the display of old events which have not been modified in a while. Thus, you can open an old event via the web, modify one small detail, re-save it... and it will then show up on your phone after the next sync, no matter how old it is.

Now... once you realize all that, you can see two solutions to the problem. They both are stupid and a waste of time for anyone who has the slightest semblance of a life...

* Some people mess with their phone's date settings. This is lame.

* Some people log in via the web and manually "tweak" every single event. This is insane.

It is a well-known fact that most of Google's core developers actively hate the business community and power user community. There can be no other explanation for how awful Google Calendar is, in general. The fact that we can't specify time zones for the start and end of specific events (or, most important of all, make certain events Time Zone agnostic so they ALWAYS show up as a specific clock time, no matter what time the user is in) is a sign that Google absolutely is not interested in making the Android platform ready for the business world.

But, for once, we may have a work-around that can lead us to a small victory!

Here is the solution that i have tried and it appears to be working, at least in my preliminary testing...

1. Log in to Google Calendar via the web

2. Go to "Settings --> Calendar Settings" at the top

3. Go to the "Calendars" tab

4. at the bottom, next to "Create new calendar" you will find "Import Calendar" and "Export Calendars"

This may be the key to our victory...

if you Export a calendar (which you should do routinely to save a back up... because no one single source should hold your data, even if it is as reliable as Google) the system will pack all of your various calendars (in iCal format) into a zip file.

do this once a month (again, out of routine habit) but then unzip the calendars, and choose to "import" them via that other link. (you have to do this one calendar at a time, in order to specify the destination for the events you're importing)

this re-import will refresh all of your events, all at one time. it does not appear to create duplicate events, something i feared might happen. it does however cause Android to think that they are all newly-modified and it should force your phone to sync all of them and display all of them on your mobile calendar now!

i am still trying this and experimenting. i don't know how it might affect things like reminders, "i am attending" status, etc. but i do know that this could be a BIG step in the right direction for those of us who need to be able to view ALL of our old events on our phones.

you should be able to do this maybe once a month and be all set for the rest of the time. i know it's still a little more cumbersome than it should be, but if this works it's loads better than what other users were trying up until now.

Best of luck when you try it! Keep hammering Google and their Android team for a REAL business-grade calendar solution (that ALWAYS displays old events and ALLOWS EVENTS TO IGNORE TIME ZONE no matter where your phone or laptop is on the planet when you view things!)

Have a safe and productive 2011.

sholzman1

Reaction score
This thread was in 2009, now it's 2012 and there still doesn't appear to be an answer as to how to keep all events on the Google Calendar on the Droid. Anyone got an answer? Thank.