Buying an OG droid without service: GPS? International use?

Venable

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently saw a story in droid-life.com about a website selling a refurbished OG droid for $60-80. I was thinking about picking one up for 2 purposes:

Music and Jogtracker while I run. Will the GPS work if I do not have service on the phone?

As a phone to lug around internationally. I have a cheap samsung I bought in London and pretty much everywhere I go (Malawi, Ghana, Bangladesh, UK, Germany so far) I can buy a sim card & pre-paid credits and have a local phone, which is mighty convenient. The Droid is said to be "dual-band" - does this mean I can do the same?

If not, are there other droid phones I might be able to pick up cheaply off-contract to serve these purposes? Refurbished is fine.

Thanks in advance

noisyKricket

Reaction score
Not sure about the international abilities of the D1, but the GPS will work. I still use my good old Droid 1 for my speedometer in my truck.

Tas

Reaction score
The original droid is not an international phone. There is no sim card. Gps should be fine though.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Google maps will not work without a data connection. There is the option of buying an off line maps app that can use the gps. Main issue would be the size of it as it would need to carry a very large map file..

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Google maps will not work without a data connection. There is the option of buying an off line maps app that can use the gps. Main issue would be the size of it as it would need to carry a very large map file..

Actually Google maps can cache desired areas to sdcard, works quite well.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Hi all,

I recently saw a story in droid-life.com about a website selling a refurbished OG droid for $60-80. I was thinking about picking one up for 2 purposes:

Music and Jogtracker while I run. Will the GPS work if I do not have service on the phone?

As a phone to lug around internationally. I have a cheap samsung I bought in London and pretty much everywhere I go (Malawi, Ghana, Bangladesh, UK, Germany so far) I can buy a sim card & pre-paid credits and have a local phone, which is mighty convenient. The Droid is said to be "dual-band" - does this mean I can do the same?

If not, are there other droid phones I might be able to pick up cheaply off-contract to serve these purposes? Refurbished is fine.

Thanks in advance

D2G is what your looking for likely.

SupraRZ95

Reaction score
A GPS is GPS. Don't need a international anything for it as long as u get satellite signal ur golden.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums