Buggy / unstable droid ... help?

pongky

Reaction score
Hi all, newcomer here, first time poster.

It's been 3 months since I got my used Moto Droid - not rooted, using page plus pre-paid service. I've tried and tried to love this thing, and when it works, it's awesome!

But I can't get over the fact that on this third month of using it, I've had to factory reset the damn thing 4 times now - the most recent was 2 days ago when it wouldn't accept incoming calls.

At first, I was all giddy and downloaded tons of apps -- then those started to force close (forever). Then the second time (after factory reset) I was much mroe careful and only got the few ( <10 ) apps that I felt I couldn't live without. But even being careful, the downloaded apps (like jewels, some other games) started to force close all the time, and even the major apps like google maps stopped working, prompting a factory reset.

After a reset, maybe 2-3 weeks later the symptoms started to re-emerge - again killing the feelings of joy that my droid is supposed to provide me.

My question is, do I have a bad phone? Is it the hardware? I mean, we are all running the same default OS here, non-rooted, so why is it giving me such terrible stability issues?

I am a techie, and I would love to use this thing fully - but if I have to be careful at every turn, and worry about what kinds of apps will bring this wonderful piece of hardware into a glorified paperweight with an LCD screen, then what's the point? I can't push it to the limit.

So, does it sound like I have a bad droid or what? Tell me I am not alone. Do you think the upcoming 2.1 will fix the issues. Should I just buy another droid?

Current apps:
advanced task manager >>> already removed according to the advice in post #2 and #3
alkursi
colorNOte
Google sky map (awesome)
iQuran
jewels (free)
robodefense (free)
tv.com
stopwatch
stopwatch (2 different ones)
voice recorder
droid light

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
Hi all, newcomer here, first time poster.

It's been 3 months since I got my used Moto Droid - not rooted, using page plus pre-paid service. I've tried and tried to love this thing, and when it works, it's awesome!

But I can't get over the fact that on this third month of using it, I've had to factory reset the damn thing 4 times now - the most recent was 2 days ago when it wouldn't accept incoming calls.

At first, I was all giddy and downloaded tons of apps -- then those started to force close (forever). Then the second time (after factory reset) I was much mroe careful and only got the few ( <10 ) apps that I felt I couldn't live without. But even being careful, the downloaded apps (like jewels, some other games) started to force close all the time, and even the major apps like google maps stopped working, prompting a factory reset.

After a reset, maybe 2-3 weeks later the symptoms started to re-emerge - again killing the feelings of joy that my droid is supposed to provide me.

My question is, do I have a bad phone? Is it the hardware? I mean, we are all running the same default OS here, non-rooted, so why is it giving me such terrible stability issues?

I am a techie, and I would love to use this thing fully - but if I have to be careful at every turn, and worry about what kinds of apps will bring this wonderful piece of hardware into a glorified paperweight with an LCD screen, then what's the point? I can't push it to the limit.

So, does it sound like I have a bad droid or what? Tell me I am not alone. Do you think the upcoming 2.1 will fix the issues. Should I just buy another droid?

Current apps:
advanced task manager
alkursi
colorNOte
Google sky map (awesome)
iQuran
jewels (free)
robodefense (free)
tv.com
stopwatch
stopwatch (2 different ones)
voice recorder
droid light
not saying you wasted your money but task killers have been known to cause problems. you don't need them you have a beast a** operating system that does it for you.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Get rid of your task killer.....

They cause problems on some devices. Delete it and test the device for a few days.

That should clear up your issues

OP
P

pongky

Reaction score
Ok I just did that, let's see how it goes. So what you guys are basically saying, that google maps never forces close on you, market apps are forever stable and you never get the "my internal speaker doesn't work so I have to use the speakerphone until I ctrl-alt-delete reboot" problem?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I have not had a force close on my device in months.

Last time I had one was when I was running PandaHome (home replacement app) a couple months ago. I uninstalled it and not a problem since.

In total I've had 1 FC.

Mojo

Reaction score
So.. Let me ask you this. To get your phone to work on page plus.. did you have to have it flashed? Or did it just work as a stock droid?

OP
P

pongky

Reaction score
^Mojo - 'tis a stock droid. Bought used off eBay. clean ESN. and to cereal killer.. only ONE FORCE CLOSE!? *sigh* I wish my droid experience was similar to that... let me see, 100-150 force closes in 3 months? (roughly).

ZBoater

Reaction score
I have 100 apps and I have yet to see a force close. If you wipe your phone, use it naked (no apps) for a day or two. If you are experiencing stability issues then, get it exchanged.

Mojo

Reaction score
Try running your Droid in safe mode. Power off.. slide keypad open and press and hold the menu button (on the keypad) and power at the same time. Run it like that for a while and see if your still getting force closes on things.

OP
P

pongky

Reaction score
^ I tried safe mode, a fresh wipe, no apps -- and it force closed the first time I launched google maps. Go figure. So let me just run it naked for a bit in regular unsafe mode.

mu7861

Reaction score
pongky said:
^ I tried safe mode, a fresh wipe, no apps -- and it force closed the first time I launched google maps. Go figure. So let me just run it naked for a bit in regular unsafe mode.

Thanks