Browsers redirect to homepage for non-secured sites

magdarko

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Desire 501 Dual SIM
So I'm having this slightly weird problem: every time I attempt to go to a non-HTTPS site on any of the four browsers I have installed, I'm redirected to the homepage for the internet service provider. This happens both on mobile data (in which case I get the Lycamobile homepage and on wifi (which gives me the 'welcome to BT Hub' message). I've tried this on the stock browser, Boat browser, Chrome, and Firefox. All HTTPS sites including my bank website load fine. All my other internet-based apps are fine as well. I haven't done anything to this phone in the past (rooting and so forth) and I don't recall doing anything to it now. The last app I downloaded was Telegram, a couple of weeks ago. I've deleted that, and a bunch of others, uninstalled all the browsers I could and reinstalled them, cleared the cache, restarted the phone... basically I'm all out of the easy fixes. And Google for once isn't forthcoming. Any ideas out there?

ETA: all of this is happening on an HTC Desire 501 dual SIM running Android 4.1 which I was previously quite happy with. It's a little under a year old.

Last edited:

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

I don't see you mentioning the phone model. That might help as settings are different from phone to phone.

OP
M

magdarko

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Desire 501 Dual SIM
I don't see you mentioning the phone model. That might help as settings are different from phone to phone.

Ah, right, sorry! I have an HTC Desire 501 dual SIM with Android 4.1