Browser Homepage Tip

baniels

Reaction score
This may not be for everyone, but I thought I'd share this.

If you're like me, you like to close all your browser windows when not browsing. Closing the last window automatically creates a new window with your homepage.

It has to load, then you have to hit back to exit.

Waiting for the page to load before closing annoys me so I borrowed a technique that works in Firefox.

If you set your homepage as "about:blank" (without quotes), there will be no loading necessary. When you open the browser, there will also be no load time. I used to have google as my homepage, which is moot, really, since searching google can be done from the url/search bar at the top of the browser.

Location can then be allowed for google, without the need for gps to come on everytime you open the browser, as it would if google was your homepage.

mvezz

Reaction score
Thanks! I thought I was the only one annoyed by that. =)

BostonBill

Reaction score
"If you set your homepage as "about:blank" (without quotes), there will be no loading necessary"
Nice!
...but how do you set your home page? I open browser, press menu and don't see set home page as an option.
Thanks

BagMan

Reaction score
Very nice. After years of "smartphones", time to start treating these like the desktop/notebook.

myriad46

Reaction score
I've had location searching get stuck and run my battery down due to google being my homepage. Great Workaround!!!!!!

HK-47

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks baniels - every day with tips like these these "superphones" get better and better!

OP
baniels

baniels

Reaction score
That's pretty much what got me thinking about this. If I didn't let the google page fully load and find my location before exiting, it would get stuck with the gps on.

I've had location searching get stuck and run my battery down due to google being my homepage. Great Workaround!!!!!!