Breaking out of force close loop

boathead

Reaction score
I was trying to flash CM7 (or any other ROM, for that matter) and everything goes fine until the system reboots with the changes. When the home screen comes up I get in an endless loop with the following force close message: " An unexpected error occured in something.android.phones". At this point the dialogue allows only 2 options: retry, which results in the same error; cancel, which results in the same error. The only other option is to do a reboot and remove the installation.
As I said, this happens when I try to install ANY ROM.
Question 1: what am i doing wrong?
Question 2: how do i break out of this loop without having to reboot? Is there a way.
The messages above are not exactly literal but they illustrate the general idea - I am paraphrasing for the most part.

Thanks

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Which ROMs have you tried when you say this happens with any ROM?

OP
B

boathead

Reaction score
How did you download and install those rom's?

Swyped from a Droid
Here's is my procedure when using ROM Manager:
1. Backup the existing ROM.
2. Download a ROM.
3. Install the ROM (wiping data and cache, always)
4. Reboot with new ROM

When the ROM boots, I swipe to unlock the device and then i enter into an infinite(?) loop and my dialing pad and phone service are unavailable (a most unacceptable situation, since I need to be able to make and receive calls while I experiment with any new ROM)

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey

Rom manager is known to have issues. Try downloading your rom's to a pc then, using your usb, transfer them to your sd. Then flash them in recovery. If you dont have a pc, RM will work. You will just have to keep re-downloading rom's until one works. Other than that, all your other procedures look correct.

Swyped from a Droid

ToastMAn

Reaction score
I'm having the *exact* same problem as you. Only, I'm on an HTC Desire.

I would love to know if you found/find a solution for this. I searched and asked about this in several places, but got nothing and only left a line of clueless fellows behind me... :(

ToastMAn

Reaction score
Exact same deal. Tried to flash several different ROMs. My official rooted ROM works just fine.

ToastMAn

Reaction score
Tried using my phone and tried my PC and then transfer to phone. I also checked the integrity of the roms by verifying the md5.

OP
B

boathead

Reaction score
If your asking about breaking out of force close loops in general, then I do not have a graceful answer at this time (restart the process if you can, pull the battery if you must.,etc).
However, if you are asking about the particular force loop that I had, then this is how to AVOID it: DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER TO INSTALL ROMS. Boot directly into Recovery and then install your ROMS that way. If you follow what I am saying and this is clear then you are good to go; if not, write back and I will give you detailed instructions.

ToastMAn

Reaction score
I'm asking about the exact same force close loop issue that you had.
Well, I never used rom manager. I always flashed the roms directly from recovery. But still every rom that I tried to flash, resulted in a force close loop.
Have you managed to avoid it?

BLK

Reaction score

Rom manager is known to have issues. Try downloading your rom's to a pc then, using your usb, transfer them to your sd. Then flash them in recovery. If you dont have a pc, RM will work. You will just have to keep re-downloading rom's until one works. Other than that, all your other procedures look correct.

Swyped from a Droid
Thanks Ill try this tonight. Im have the same problem as the OP and its pissing me the F off. haha