Breakage For Root Apps In Next Android Update

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you are addicted to your root apps ie Titanium Backup, Set CPU, NoBloat, LMT Launcher, and many others there may be trouble ahead for your favorite apps. According to developer "Chainfire" "There may be breakage for root apps in Android 4.5 or the next version released". Chainfire states in his G+ post

A recent commit to the AOSP master tree prevents the unconfined domain (everything you run through su by default) from executing files located on the /data partition.

The file system used in most root apps to execute the Superuser will no longer work out of the box and will generate an access denied error. There appears to be many ways around the issue, but not one general solution. This mostly means that root app developers will have to update their apps after the next Android update to fix this issue in their app otherwise the apps will not work with the latest version. Chainfire suggest that we get ahead of this issue as a community by notifying your favorite root app developer of the upcoming issue. More information can be found at the source link below.

Via Chainfire+

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
What I don't understand is that if I choose to install linux on my computer or I buy a computer that comes with it I'm allowed to have root access because I own the device. While I understand limiting this access is to protect the average mobile-device user from malicious software why do they intentionally limit it for the masses? Why not give the owner the choice with the standard disclaimer screen. Haven't they realized by now that no matter how much they try to prevent root access on mobile devices someone will always find a way to get it? It's an exercise in futility. Just give us the option to do what we want with the devices we own!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
What I don't understand is that if I choose to install linux on my computer or I buy a computer that comes with it I'm allowed to have root access because I own the device. While I understand limiting this access is to protect the average mobile-device user from malicious software why do they intentionally limit it for the masses? Why not give the owner the choice with the standard disclaimer screen. Haven't they realized by now that no matter how much they try to prevent root access on mobile devices someone will always find a way to get it? It's an exercise in futility. Just give us the option to do what we want with the devices we own!

They do it for information security. It's not to detract you and me from having complete control, it's to guard Joe and schmoe's data from being accessed without their knowledge.