Bootloader 2c.7c - Phone won't boot

smadronia

Reaction score
This is for my girlfriend's Motorola Droid, unrooted. We woke up this morning, and it was working fine, as the alarm went off. She got up and drove for a couple hours (we're truck drivers) and when she pulled the phone out of her pocket to use it, it gave her:

Bootloader
2c.7c
Battery OK
OK to program
Connect USB
Data Cable

We had this happen before, last November, when the phone was dropped. So, I woke up and booted my laptop, and plugged her phone in. Now it says "Transfer mode: USB" but unlike last time, rebooting the phone won't bring it back.

I can't get it to come back at all. I've rebooted it several times, hooked it to the laptop in various ways (off before hooking, on before hooking, etc) and it's still stuck on bootloader. I even swapped the battery with my Droid, thinking it might help. I've also taken the battery out for several minutes, but nothing. And, I tried booting without the SD card, thinking it might be the problem. Still nothing.

When I attach it to my laptop, it tells me it found new hardware. SE Flash OMAP3430 MI, but it's not anything I've ever encountered before.

Suggestions? My girlfriend says she may try to back everything up from her SD card and reset the phone to the factory standard, but that's a last resort.

OP
S

smadronia

Reaction score
Sounds like the D-pad it sticking in the up position. D-pad up + power = bootloader. The message you recieved :
Bootloader
2c.7c
Battery OK
OK to program
Connect USB
Data Cable
is the standard boot loader "greeting".

We messed with all the keys, nothing is stuck, or unsticking. The phone was on and working before it did this, although it was in her pocket. I'm not sure how the D pad would stick if the keyboard was collapsed. What's so odd is it won't come back like it did last november.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only other option I can offer is flashing a sbf file with RSD Lite. If she is interested in rooting, follow this link: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

If not, follow the first thread, and instead of using the file linked in step #4, use the sbf file from this site instead:
http://rescue.macleod-web.net
Navigate to sbf, and download the FRG22D.sbf file.

The first option will just install the costom recovery to allow rooting, but if she is not interested in rooting, the second step will wipe all data from her phone.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The button could be "stuck" as in hardware you can't see, not like its been visibly pressed. Either way, try the above fixes!

OP
S

smadronia

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. I've passed them to my girlfriend. She's not sure if she is ready to try that yet.

She looked up solutions and it might be a bent pin in the charging port. We've been having problems with the chargers lately, but we hope it isn't that.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is the place to be if she needs help! IMO, if its not rooted yet, you might want to stop into verizon and have them take a look at it first. All they will do is try to reboot it and flash the sbf though.

OP
S

smadronia

Reaction score
Welll, looks like we're going to have to go to a Verizon store. She tried to factory reset the phone today, and all it did was go back to the bootloader. So something's seriously up.

It's not a keypad stuck, when we turn the phone on, it will show the stylized Motorola M and then go to the bootloader, instead of going straight there.

The biggest problem with the phone not working is that it's internet access, and her Blizzard authenticator is on there, rendering all of their games unplayable until she can get it removed. And we're 3000 miles from some of the information they need to remove her authenticator. Don't suppose there's a way to get programs off a phone that a laptop doesn't recognize and put them on the laptop?

chadamir

Reaction score
I had this problem. Sucked. I paid to get a phone sent the next day.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Welll, looks like we're going to have to go to a Verizon store. She tried to factory reset the phone today, and all it did was go back to the bootloader. So something's seriously up.

It's not a keypad stuck, when we turn the phone on, it will show the stylized Motorola M and then go to the bootloader, instead of going straight there.

The biggest problem with the phone not working is that it's internet access, and her Blizzard authenticator is on there, rendering all of their games unplayable until she can get it removed. And we're 3000 miles from some of the information they need to remove her authenticator. Don't suppose there's a way to get programs off a phone that a laptop doesn't recognize and put them on the laptop?
You can pull the SD card and anything that's there will get saved. The phone's internal storage, however, is lost to you AFAIK.

kmoloney

Reaction score
I had the same problem...exactly. There was no apparent cause (it was in Bluetooth mode Syncing with the Microsoft Sync system in my 2011 Ford Escape). During the ride home, I noticed the Sync system said "no paired phones found," and the next time I rebooted the phone, it gave me the same message:

Bootloader2C.7C
Battery OK

OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

I took it to Verizon, and he said it was basically bricked. Wanted a new phone anyway, so it didn't take much to get me to buy a new Motorola Droid X2. But haven't tried any of the rooting solutions, yet. It's on e-Bay right now, $0.01 with free shipping. :). I may try rooting it in the meantime.

DroidExec

Reaction score
Same problem did a flash and root

Hi,
Same problem here no sticking keys have ran the RSD Lite flash, installed the recovery sbf, it contiues to reboot to bootloader 2c.7c. Pressing on the UP Directional key does not do anything. Purchased a new phone and I am trying to recover this one for learning and use for a backup.

Anyone have any more ideas?