Bluetooth voice dialing?

SeattleUser

Reaction score
I read in another thread that you can't do voice dialing with the Moto Droid. You have to look at and touch the unit. Is this true? If so that's a deal killer for me. I'm considering getting a droid phone, but I have to be able to make calls without looking at the phone. To me that's a safety issue. I have a long commute and often have to make short calls while driving. Does the Incredible have this issue also?

rkeller62

Reaction score
I read in another thread that you can't do voice dialing with the Moto Droid. You have to look at and touch the unit. Is this true? If so that's a deal killer for me. I'm considering getting a droid phone, but I have to be able to make calls without looking at the phone. To me that's a safety issue. I have a long commute and often have to make short calls while driving. Does the Incredible have this issue also?

As far as I know, this is a current limitation of all Android phones. You must initiate the voice command by first touching the screen.

OP
S

SeattleUser

Reaction score
That's a huge step backward!

Did the people who developed Android have a total lack of common sense? I guess I'll have to wait until they address this issue. I wouldn't be surprised to see some states make it illegal to even sell a cell phone that won't do hands free calling.

I have a long freeway commute and almost every day I see cars whose drivers are obviously paying very little attention to their driving. Taking your eyes off the road to dial your phone is good way to kill somebody.

mikes

Reaction score
Some Bluetooth handsfree kits implement voice dialing themselves, then pass the number on. I know that some Parrot kits do. There are others, and probably headsets with that ability, too.

OP
S

SeattleUser

Reaction score
I haven't found mention of any Bluetooth headsets for Android that are totally hands free. You still have to look at and touch the screen to initiate a call. With my KRZR dumb phone I just tap the head set and then say Call Someone where Someone is a person in my contact list.

ned4spd8874

Reaction score
I was told a few weeks ago that the new update would fix this from a Verizon store rep. Guess he lied to me. I've been looking forward to this too. :(

OP
S

SeattleUser

Reaction score
Bluetooth dialing

It's my understanding that it will require a change to Android to address this issue.

ldimick

Reaction score
Strange. It works for me. The other day day someone cut me off on the freeway and I yelled, YOU STUPID SOB! Next thing I know my phone is dialing and the lady who answered it said, "White House. May I help you?"

OP
S

SeattleUser

Reaction score
Milestone

Is it totally hands free? Can you make a call by just tapping the headset without ever looking at or touching the phone?

Gargoyle

Reaction score
Yes it is.
No different than any other phones I have had.

Just using a basic bluetooth, nothing special.

Regards

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't found mention of any Bluetooth headsets for Android that are totally hands free. You still have to look at and touch the screen to initiate a call. With my KRZR dumb phone I just tap the head set and then say Call Someone where Someone is a person in my contact list.
Please read the existing threads on the topic (this is a well-beaten dead horse). If the BT device has built-in voice dial you can use it instead of relying on the handset.

Has anyone figured out why we Canadian Milestone users have handsfree ?
The Milestone and Droid aren't exactly alike. There are quite a few differences between them along these lines.

Last edited:

wase4711

Reaction score
many cars now a days have built in BT interfaces that allow you to do totally hands free calling through BT..my wifes ford fusion does this, and so does my mazda cx9..

Gargoyle

Reaction score
Please read the existing threads on the topic (this is a well-beaten dead horse). If the BT device has built-in voice dial you can use it instead of relying on the handset.

Sorry, I am not trying to beat a dead horse and have read many posts regarding this.
I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas WHY the Motorola Milestone ( Canadian )with 2.1 DOES work with hands free voice dialing paired with a basic headset such as a Motorola H560.

OP
S

SeattleUser

Reaction score
Cars with built in BT, Fusion & cx9

Do they work totally hands free with Motorola Droid or HTC Incredible?