Bluetooth teather Bionic to Galaxy tab Possible?

tpearson25

Reaction score
I have read in a preveous post that it is possible to teather android devices through bluetooth. I have a stock Bionic that I would like to teather to a Galaxy tab. I am not interested in rooting. I was hoping there is a simple way to connect and pair these devices for data use. I am on an unlimited plan and do not want to pay for more data. I don't think a tablet would use that much more data than a phone. I just want to be able to check email or download apps from the internet. If any one has step by step instruction on how to do this that would be great. I know there is an app called padnet for tablets but it is in beta and getting mixed reviews.
Thanks

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
I have read in a preveous post that it is possible to teather android devices through bluetooth. I have a stock Bionic that I would like to teather to a Galaxy tab. I am not interested in rooting. I was hoping there is a simple way to connect and pair these devices for data use. I am on an unlimited plan and do not want to pay for more data. I don't think a tablet would use that much more data than a phone. I just want to be able to check email or download apps from the internet. If any one has step by step instruction on how to do this that would be great. I know there is an app called padnet for tablets but it is in beta and getting mixed reviews.
Thanks

Kinda.

If you use PDAnet for tablets, you can tether via bluetooth, but it uses some kind of proxy or something and only gmail, browser, and maps will have internet access.

jtrippe77

Reaction score
I tether my Bionic to my Asus Transformer via bluetooth all the time. I don't even use the pdanet app. I just pair the devices and click connect to internet on the tablet. The Transformer may have something that allows it to tether that way though. However, don't use regular pdnet. Download pdanet tablet to your phone and tablet. Run the phone in server mode and the tab in client mode. Also, make sure you switch to 3g only while tethering. The bionic does not let you bluetooth tether in 4g. You will get an error message on pdanet while in 4g. You can do a google search on this subject and you will find results that back up what I'm saying. For some reason, the Droid Razr allows you to BT tether while in 4g. No one seems to know why it is different. You can switch back to 4g while tethering from the Bionic but you still get 3g speeds. I am getting a tether speed just under 1m (which is fast enough) while the 4g on the Bionic is over 20m.

fsumann

Reaction score
I tether my ipad 2 to my bionic with bluetooth all the time. Just put the ipad into airplane mode and pair with the bionic. No apps needed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Cinoib

Reaction score
Thanks

I'm just curious, why do you not want to root?

Sent from my SGH-T849 using DroidForums

OP
tpearson25

tpearson25

Reaction score
I tether my Bionic to my Asus Transformer via bluetooth all the time. I don't even use the pdanet app. I just pair the devices and click connect to internet on the tablet. The Transformer may have something that allows it to tether that way though. However, don't use regular pdnet. Download pdanet tablet to your phone and tablet. Run the phone in server mode and the tab in client mode. Also, make sure you switch to 3g only while tethering. The bionic does not let you bluetooth tether in 4g. You will get an error message on pdanet while in 4g. You can do a google search on this subject and you will find results that back up what I'm saying. For some reason, the Droid Razr allows you to BT tether while in 4g. No one seems to know why it is different. You can switch back to 4g while tethering from the Bionic but you still get 3g speeds. I am getting a tether speed just under 1m (which is fast enough) while the 4g on the Bionic is over 20m.

Thanks for the information I will try again when I get home. I did not see an option on the tab that says connect to the internet. I can pair the two but no internet connection. It might be because I have not tried 3g. Not sure how to togle 3g and 4g but have not looked.I sure hope to figure this out.

jtrippe77

Reaction score
Thanks for the information I will try again when I get home. I did not see an option on the tab that says connect to the internet. I can pair the two but no internet connection. It might be because I have not tried 3g. Not sure how to togle 3g and 4g but have not looked.I sure hope to figure this out.

After you've paired find the bluetooth setting on your tab. You should see a wrench or something to click on. It will give you the option to connect for internet access. At least it does on my Transformer.

To toggle to 3g go to setting-wireless an networks-mobile networks. Then click on network mode and select CDMA only. You can also put a shortcut on your phone with the LTE Switch app.

OP
tpearson25

tpearson25

Reaction score
I tried it last night and it worked with no problem. Thanks for all your help.

jtrippe77

Reaction score
Update: The new 5.9.901 update allows you to tether in 4g without switching. You still don't get 4g speeds (but it is faster) but you don't have to switch to CDMA only.

OP
tpearson25

tpearson25

Reaction score
I can now teather to galaxy tab or Ipad (not mine). Is it possible to have more than one device paired and connected to the internet? When I tried it and only one at a time could connect.They both showed being paired but only one would connect.