Blank SD card notification

Todd droid x

Reaction score
Don't let my username confuse anyone, but I now have a Galaxy S3. The first time I took a picture with the front facing camera, also while connected to WiFi, I've gotten a SD card notification. It says "Blank SD card or has unsupported filesystem." Now, I cannot access my photos. When I click on the icon, it asks "Are you sure you want to format?" I know if I reformat the card I lose everything.

Thank you.

Sherry

Reaction score
I am getting the same thing on my Galaxy Tab 7 Plus. I know the SD card is good. It continues to work with the apps/picture/music that is loaded on it so I am confused. Hope someone gives you an answer.

TeeX

Reaction score
when you first put the sd card into the phone, did you format it? Not sure if that's the issue, but when I installed my sd card, I just went ahead and formatted it on the phone before I loaded anything on it.

Maybe that will help?

(you will wipe it blank when you format it, so maybe offload the contents onto your computer first, then load then back on after you format)

OP
T

Todd droid x

Reaction score
I read another similar topic on here. The solution is to back up the SD card onto a pc then format it. Problem for me is I travel. My pc is miles away.

kaylesworth

Reaction score
I read another similar topic on here. The solution is to back up the SD card onto a pc then format it. Problem for me is I travel. My pc is miles away.

You can copy the files to internal storage, format the card and copy them back.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

chucklesAE

Reaction score
having the same issue. Just bought the SD card today and all I've done with it is try to transfer music from my PC to my phone. That was giving me problems so I decided to format it to see if maybe that was the problem (it was working with pictures and other things but just transfering files from the pc was the issue). Now all i get is blank SD card or unsupported file system. Formatting the card does no good.

chucklesAE

Reaction score
having the same issue. Just bought the SD card today and all I've done with it is try to transfer music from my PC to my phone. That was giving me problems so I decided to format it to see if maybe that was the problem (it was working with pictures and other things but just transfering files from the pc was the issue). Now all i get is blank SD card or unsupported file system. Formatting the card does no good.

Okay.. just resolved the situation for myself... might work for others. I had a G2 before I had my GS3, so I wondered if maybe the GS3 was just being stubborn about this SD card.. I was right. Popped the sd card in my G2, powered it up and at first I was kind of "eh" because it too read the card as blank. But it let me format the card and it mounted it just fine, popped it out put it in my GS3 and it works fine.. So one solution might be, if you have another android device that takes an SD card (don't they all?) try re-formatting it there, worked for me.

inflyte21

Reaction score
I'm getting the same issue. Previously had an EVO and tried to use the SD card and shows up on the EVO blank SD Card .... Help please..BTW I'm new to the forum Thanks for your help

W

whotheheck

fix for your new sd card won't work issue

I had the same problem...new 32gig sd card works just fine under windows, but in my Samsung s2,s3, and EVO it says damaged, or unsupported, etc.... I then read on another droid forum about this issue and here is the easy fix! Put your sd card into a usb reader for mem cards etc. You will notice that your card reader has a drive number like G:, or H:, etc... Make a shortcut on your windows desktop and make the shortcut location as (cmd). You may remember that cmd is the DOS-box command line prompt. Now your shortcut to cmd is on your desktop. Right click that shortcut and select "run as administrator". Now at the DOS prompt type:
chkdsk <drive letter of the sd>: /r

Let it run through it's checks, etc. Once done just pop your sd card back into your phone and enjoy!