'Biopen' Can 3D print Cartilage During Surgery [With Video]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
biopen-stem-cells-2016-04-04-01.jpg

Here's an amazing Off Topic bit of tech news to brighten your day. Doctors working directly with scientists have developed a working "Biopen" which can 3D Print cartilage and other tissue on the fly during surgery. The device uses hydrogel and your own stem cells for its "ink." The device can be used in various forms of surgery where custom tissue generation is required.

During a procedure, the "Biopen" allows surgeons to precisely customize the joint to the patient. It uses surgical "scaffolds," and permanently hardens the biogel using ultraviolet light. The "Biopen" is still in testing, and there is no word on when it will be used for human trials; however, the current testing results are promising, so it likely won't take too long before we see this come to hospitals and clinics.

Be sure to check out the video demo in the thread below.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So what exactly is the difference between 3D printing and just extruding some material?
Well really almost nothing, since 3D printing works by extruding (typically), plastic. And yet also everything, because what makes it 3D is by doing precise applications of minute quantities in thin successive layers, resulting in the height (the third dimension).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Well really almost nothing, since 3D printing works by extruding (typically), plastic. And yet also everything, because what makes it 3D is by doing precise applications of minute quantities in thin successive layers, resulting in the height (the third dimension).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Exactly, I'm just not sure why this is called 3D printing. I mean, technically using a syringe to put some neosporin on your skin is 3D printing. I feel they are just using this as a buzz word to get your attention.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
More important than the nomenclature is the ability to "recreate cartilage", something our bodies cannot do. (Cartilage unlike bone cannot regenerate.) This is a pretty cool advancement for people that lose ears or noses, or parts of ears (Evander Holyfield?) and noses in accidents.