Bionic questions

scott craft

Reaction score
How is the Bionic as far as reception, camera and screen quality? I've looked at the Razr and the Nexus, but I've found a Bionic for a good price. If it helps I like the Nexus better than the Razr.

Purplfreak

Reaction score
Im liking my Bionic....now! That being said...theres a reason you found it cheap.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

tedankel

Reaction score
Is the discount more due to dropping the secondary 16G micro SD card which used to be stock (but very hard to access for file/folder storage), or as a push to the other phones???
I'm thinking you still have better potential capability through upgrade of accessible battery and memory cards. Yes, it seems we're on the Slow Boat for all updates, especially ICS. (Still waiting on 904 for that matter).

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm happy with my Bionic. I've upgraded the external memory to 32GB and gotten the Motorola extended battery so it suits my needs fine. I'm unrooted and mostly stock. When I got the Bionic in September I used the Camera Zoom FX app, but with the updates since then (latest is 5.9.902 with 9.9.904 on the way) I'm using the stock camera more and more. The Bionic screen is supposed to be better in sunlight than the Razr.

Data reception is partly due to your location and even the phone itself. I live in San Diego, which was one of the first cities to get Verizon 4G, so it's pretty good.

Are you planning to root and do other customizing? If so, neither the Bionic nor the RAZR have an unlocked bootloader, while the Nexus does. This doesn't matter to me, but it may to you. It's possible to root the Bionic, though.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reception: great as long as your area is solid - much improved with the OTAs it's received. 4g/3g handoff is excellent now.

Camera: improved, but still lackluster. If you have excellent lighting, and no movement, it can take excellent pictures. But any movement (by you or picture), or anything less than solid lighting, and it takes some work to get a decent photo. Low light with the flash look washed out often. It's not bad, but definitely not the best.

Screen: this is extremely subjective, and there are a lot of threads here already comparing screens. The Bionic has the most practical screen - easy to see outdoors, easier on the battery than the others (same as DX2 and D3). It's very bright and I find it to be a relief to look at after some of the other new devices. However, due to its inherent nature, sometimes you might see a "screen door" effect (very subtle, but sometimes noticeable). I will say, the Gnex is a much more beautiful screen, but dimmer and a bit more of a strain in the eyes - IMHO. This has been debated endlessly, and you really need to just look and compare yourself, as its all very subjective.

Battery life: I'm adding this as I feel its important. The Bionic battery life is significantly better than the Gnex, and marginally better than the Razr.

sent from my phone

Ziggie

Reaction score
Stock rooted on.902.

Reception for me is fantastic now. I got the phone on 9/8 and it was pretty bad at that point, but the updates have really erased the problem for me. That being said, I still think your location matters. I live in the Philadelphia area.

I just don't use the camera that much, so I don't really have an opinion on it.

The screen (as the prior poster stated) is highly subjective. I love it. I had the original Droid and I could never see it in the sun. I can see this screen anywhere no matter the lighting conditions. I don't see the pixels.

Battery life has only improved since I got Verizon's extended battery. With the standard battery I could not get more than 10 hours with moderate use. The extended battery makes this phone perfect for me. I can easily make it through an entire day now with fairly heavy use. Light use and I can get almost 2 days.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

kac8866

Reaction score
I've had my Bionic for almost 2 months now. I love it! The gnex screen was not bright enough for me. The RAZR just seemed flimsy in my hand. I had the OG Droid before. I've added the extended battery and easily get 12 hours of moderate use, 20 hours of light use.
I'm rooted, running 904 leak and Gummy ICS 1.0.2.

OP
S

scott craft

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. When I was using my og droid I had it rooted. Rooting isn't a requirement, but if I got a Nexus I probably would since it looks pretty easy. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do. I can't upgrade until November and I've got new phone fever pretty bad.

B

bens42608

look, I've stayed stock because the soak suggested it but with that tanking so goddam long and because I didn't Wanda do experiments on my phone when it is my only source of internet and communication and I am a CS major so I needed it to be stock and completely reliable.well the semester ended today so I have the summer of f and I really miss flashing my d1.Sooo....what's the most reliable Ics ROM for bionic?I know the camera s broke on most of them which I hate but whatever.I could use as much info aspossible to root, flash the coolest ROM(gummyjar sounds cool maybe)n I'd also like to know how to return to unrooted/stock. Anyone who takes the time to help, u r a great person.a gentleman and a scholar

D1Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums