binaries/kies need help with what these are

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by kunzy, Jul 30, 2012.

1. kunzy

kunzy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm seeing people talk about the binaries are out or had a friend tell me i could download samsung kies to download JB to my sweet nexus without rooting but i told him i thought i needed to b rooted. can someone please school me with these terms....thanks

2. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    If your friends won't explain what binaries and kies are I don't think they would know how to get JB onto a Nexus without root.

With that being said I'm not aware of any method that gets another ROM on your phone without rooting.

#2 dezymond, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  3. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Samsung Kies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <-- that is what kies is.

I am guessing either you have been fed wrong information, or you just misheard/misunderstood what your friend was talking about. As far as I know kies doesn't work with the GN as it isn't fully a Samsung device, it is a Google device. Updates don't come from Samsung. I could be wrong though, but I have never seen anything about kies and GN working together, much less a method to get JB onto the GN using kies. I do find it odd that the GN is listed under supported devices though (not the Nexus S though). Perhaps sync features work on the GN?

So without unlocking, I don't know of a way to get JB on your device that doesn't involve waiting for Verizon to release it.

4. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Binaries are released for the Google GSM version of the Gnex. Not for the CDMA Verizon version yet.

Nate

5. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
  6. kunzy

kunzy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the schooling....told my friend that i didnt think i could do it without rooting and i guess google wouldnt have anything on there support site either ? thanks again love this forum