binaries/kies need help with what these are

kunzy

Reaction score
I'm seeing people talk about the binaries are out or had a friend tell me i could download samsung kies to download JB to my sweet nexus without rooting but i told him i thought i needed to b rooted. can someone please school me with these terms....thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If your friends won't explain what binaries and kies are I don't think they would know how to get JB onto a Nexus without root.

With that being said I'm not aware of any method that gets another ROM on your phone without rooting.

Last edited:

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I'm seeing people talk about the binaries are out or had a friend tell me i could download samsung kies to download JB to my sweet nexus without rooting but i told him i thought i needed to b rooted. can someone please school me with these terms....thanks

Samsung Kies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <-- that is what kies is.

I am guessing either you have been fed wrong information, or you just misheard/misunderstood what your friend was talking about. As far as I know kies doesn't work with the GN as it isn't fully a Samsung device, it is a Google device. Updates don't come from Samsung. I could be wrong though, but I have never seen anything about kies and GN working together, much less a method to get JB onto the GN using kies. I do find it odd that the GN is listed under supported devices though (not the Nexus S though). Perhaps sync features work on the GN?

So without unlocking, I don't know of a way to get JB on your device that doesn't involve waiting for Verizon to release it.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Binaries are released for the Google GSM version of the Gnex. Not for the CDMA Verizon version yet.

Nate

OP
K

kunzy

Reaction score
thanks for the schooling....told my friend that i didnt think i could do it without rooting and i guess google wouldnt have anything on there support site either ? thanks again love this forum