Big screen drain?

Dew

Reaction score
So I'm curious why my screen is taking so much juice? I haven't seen anyone else's screen shots with that big of a percentage going to screen. I have had 4G shut off, G+ disabled, Sync is all off, running on 3G only and screen level is less than 25% brightness. Too dim for my liking but I've had it there anyway. My phone was basically dead at 6.5 - 7 hours after taking it off the charger this morning! Unacceptable, does anyone have any ideas or help?

View attachment 48148View attachment 48149

Malithar

Reaction score
I'm seeing similar battery drain from my screen being on. I don't have a screenshot atm, and I've only been off the charger for about 4 hours, but I'll toss one up towards the end of the day and compare. Some other details about my setup, that may or may not match your's, are:

Gummy Nex 0.7.6
Underclocked Kernal to -
1350 MHz - 1175 mV
1200 MHz - 1125 mV
920 MHz - 1025 mV
700 MHz - 925 mV
350 MHz - 850 mV

Screen Brightness set to around 20-25%

Juice Defender Ultimate set to 30 min data sync when screen is off.

I'm at 81% after nearly 4 hours off the charger (Seidio 3800 battery) with the screen being on for 46 minutes, taking 48% of the used battery.

gufemur

Reaction score
Yea, mine is the same. I love the phone but this is just stupid. I am currently charging my phone for the second time today. I turned 4G off and barely used the phone at all today. Screen is always the biggest killer of my battery. There has to be a software glitch causing the battery to drain.

Boucher187

Reaction score
I just got my Nexus (coming from Droid X) and battery is a bummer. My screen uses about 50% and I have brightness at about 20% I get about 4-5 hours actual usage time. Maybe 11 total....oh well....the screen, power and performance are worth it. I might try a kernel and GummyRom soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

prey

Reaction score
same here.. my battery is lucky to last 8 hours with LOW usage.

the screen is always the culprit.. by far. according to the battery screen.

Malithar

Reaction score
Finally ran the battery dead, and no matter what I did, the screen sucked up the most battery. Nearly an hour of online poker while listening to PowerAmp, browsed, etc. Only app I've installed in the past two days was Light Flow for my notification lights. Going to uninstall that once I get another charging cycle in and see if maybe its doing something with the screen, using extra power.

Of note for the screenshots, I'm using the 3800 Seidio battery. Was really my first day on it after a complete charge (put it in, ran it dead, plugged Gnex into AC, booted into recovery and wiped battery stats, rebooted and let it sit there for about 7 hours yesterday) so I'm hoping I see better out of it than this. Found it really strange how sometimes I'd gain battery % back (can see this in the chart towards the lower half of the batteries life).

View attachment 48175View attachment 48176View attachment 48177

Boucher187

Reaction score
I have 32% battery left. The screen had used 41% of my battery. I had it set to 0% last night at home. Also the screen was on for 2 HOURS (So that means I was actively using for 2 hours) ... I got to get a Kernel I can load or find to help with this. Anyone have any ideas?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
No offense guys, but the screen drain is completely normal. A new kernel won't fix it, apps aren't the culprit, etc. Think about it, the only way you can use your phone with the screen off is phone calls or streaming music. Not to mention that the screen is 4.65 inches and 720p. If you haven't already, investing in the 2100 extended is worth it. Its only about a 15% bump, but then you can switch batteries during the day if needed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
True syndicate0017 - I guess I was just hoping to get the 50% Screen Use down to maybe 30-40%. Just being optimistic. But I will take the Screen over battery life any day. Its pure beauty!

The only way you'll see it that low (30%) is if you left the phone on idle for most of the day and only an hour screen usage. Lol. This big, beautiful screen is a battery sucker. Plus it looks like at least one of you is getting very good life. The person having 9+ hours with nearly 4 hours screen time (in what looks to big intervals of constant usage) is getting more than appropriate life.

Edit: Actually just noticed he's using the 3800. He should be getting way better life. He should probably give it a few days to calibrate.

322ae9ef-10fe-d3cc.jpg

322ae9ef-110e-2dac.jpg

This is pretty much the best I've done with my usage. A couple hours streaming music, emails, texting, tapatalk, etc. I don't even do anything super intensive and look at that screen drain. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pool_shark

Reaction score
Smartphones eat battery, period. These aren't the simplistic flip phones of old, they are computers.
They have large screens, multi-tasking, dual core processors, etc.

Unplug your laptop, use it as normal and see how long it lasts.

gufemur

Reaction score
I thought I had the same problem, but I just figured out what was causing my drain. I used titanium backup and froze the android exchange and android email processes and found that now my battery drain is gone. I use the exchange service for my work email but never thought it would keep my phone from sleeping even when off at night. I would go to bed with a 90 + percent charge and wake up to 30%. I only sleep about 5 hours a night. I unfroze the two process about an hour ago and haven't re-entered my email address info yet to see if it's just the push notifications or if it's the process itself that's killing the battery. I'll update once I run more tests.