New to AMOLED, screen burn?

flyinion

Reaction score
Thought I'd read somewhere about amoled having screen burn issues. Anyone have any tips on this for the Nexus? I woke up this morning to my screen being on (so it came on sometime between 2am and 7am) while on the charger. I shut it off after putting it on since I don't have a dock yet (the alarm clock app I'll use does have some sort of anti-screenburn algorithm) but it turned itself on randomly for some reason and was at the lock screen.

Fooshnik

Reaction score
AMOLED can burn in, like this

I don't know how long it would take to burn on the GNex, but I turned off "Stay Awake" under Settings>Developer Options so the screen isn't on while charging. Don't really want to find out what it takes.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

I don't know how long it would take to burn on the GNex, but I turned off "Stay Awake" under Settings>Developer Options so the screen isn't on while charging. Don't really want to find out what it takes.

What kinda phone is that? That's some serious burn in.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm guessing that's an HTC incredible. One of the first ones that had a amoled screen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Looks like it the more I look at it. I didn't have the amoled, had the LCD version so I thought it couldn't be an Incredible.

smokiedabong

Reaction score

Hmmm, how does one gets a burn in of the clock at 9:36 ?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol, good question, I don't think it's burn in, considering it wouldn't show a specific time. Looks like the screen's just half dead.

Fooshnik

Reaction score
Probably because the seven segment font only has the lower-left illuminated on the 2, 6 and 8 while the minute side has zero displayed at times on the far right. The icons are ghosted in too. I highly doubt anything like this will happen during normal use of a nexus. I have six and 8 yr old plasmas that have no burn in because static images aren't left on for hours at a time.

Reaction score
I had a Samsung Omnia 2 prior to the the GN and had some serious burn in issues with the AMOLED display. Looks like it's been reported over at xda as well.

R

RETG

Technically it is not 'burn in,' since that phrase is from the phosphorus used in CRT and Plasma devices. I believe the correct phrase for LCD or LED technology is 'image retention.' But it can happen on most any type of screen if the image remains static for a long period of time.

RUSHgsxr

Reaction score
Happens to my incredible all the time, but goes away.. kinda strange

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums