Best Text Messaging App??

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
I really have no problems with the stock app, I just wish it had Emoji integrated into it like Handcent does. A lot of my friends who have iPhone's like to use them, and all i see is a square box when they send it to me :mad:

I'm too lazy to switch my SMS app though...haha

sundawg102

Reaction score
handcent user here, I tried Go SmS sometime ago but that was with my OG Droid but didn't like that they didn't have that many features. Who knows maybe they improved, but I'm still loyal to handcent.

nka

Reaction score
handcent is my current go to texting app, although the two are very similar. can't speak on memory since i don't check it, but i experience minimal to zero lag with it
What theme are you currently using because all the default one' I have found are fugly

MiSSCH3LSEA

Reaction score
Another option is the Verizon Messenger which is free, too. It has a few customizations, but a nice feature it has is the ability to save/backup/restore text messages.

CM-Freak

Reaction score
What theme are you currently using because all the default one' I have found are fugly

Another +1 for Handcent.
tried GO didnt like it as much as handcent but its definitly a preference so try both. A thing to note is I see/hear more and more people getting nervous about GO apps with security.

Also https://market.android.com/details?id=com.handcent.nextsms.skin.darkness this skin makes everything black and it looks great.
Again preference I like my phone being mostly black menu/settings/blah blah. Also then go in and customize the look yourself I usually go with a just text look and black background.View attachment 47783 something like this. Although i have changed to light blue now to go with my ICS theme MavROM v3

Reaction score
Another option is the Verizon Messenger which is free, too. It has a few customizations, but a nice feature it has is the ability to save/backup/restore text messages.

Just use the mybackup app to backup your texts no matter what you use.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

dopeskwyd

Reaction score
Handcent all day long.

Mybackup? Good call. Looking into it

sent from a thing using an app

mpenda

Reaction score
Has anyone found one that you can set a quiet time for? I can't set my phone to silent, as I need to get calls at night, but SMS messages are annoying me. I've looked at several and none give me an option to shut notifications off between certain hours.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found one that you can set a quiet time for? I can't set my phone to silent, as I need to get calls at night, but SMS messages are annoying me. I've looked at several and none give me an option to shut notifications off between certain hours.

i dont know of one .. my text messages are always silent they just vibrate .. you could set it to silent every night under the settings menu in text messaging app

edit and to put in my 2 cents for best text messaging app .. Chomp is what i used for ever ( since D1). giving go sms a chance ..

Last edited:

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
I actually really, really like the stock Blur messaging app on the Droid 3. It's by far the best looking messaging app out there, and personally It has all the options I need (the only one I really use is delivery reports).

I tried out an Incredible 2 for a few days and my god the HTC messaging app is just atrocious :icon_eek: it's so ugly and for some reason the text-input field takes up like half the screen. Handcent takes too much time to customize and get it to your liking, and I've never tried GoSmS.

Edit - I'll also throw in that for group messaging me and my friends use facebook messenger. It really, REALLY good. Cross platform support for iPhone, Blackberry and Android, the notifications are super-fast and its very battery efficient. If you and your friends have facebook accounts, there really is no reason to not use Facebook messenger for groupchat. It blows other stuff like Touch/Pingchat and Whatsapp out of the water. I've NEVER had a problem with it, and I've been using it since the day it came out.

Last edited:

Khiraji

Reaction score
Big fan of Go SMS - the notifications, which I'm really picky about, are excellent for my purposes.

SJBBF

Reaction score
Likewise a fan of Go SMS, however I find the time stamp always being off even after correcting for in advanced settings.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums