Best email app to get push email and low battery use

hgrimberg

Reaction score
Best email app to get push email and low battery usage

Android comes with an email app where you can have your combined inbox. The one that comes on the Motorola stock roms is the one with the red envelope. The other one is the one with the yellow envelope. With the latter, you can add exchange accounts and be able to have push email on Hotmail.
Then for gmail you have the option of using the native email app from Android (red or yellow) or use the gmail app. Which one is better in terms of push email and battery usage?
Same happens if you use a yahoo email account. You can use yahoo on the email app or you can use the new yahoo app. Which one is better in terms of push email and battery usage?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Android comes with an email app where you can have your combined inbox. The one that comes on the Motorola stock roms is the one with the red envelope. The other one is the one with the yellow envelope. With the latter, you can add exchange accounts and be able to have push email on Hotmail.
Then for gmail you have the option of using the native email app from Android (red or yellow) or use the gmail app. Which one is better in terms of push email and battery usage?
Same happens if you use a yahoo email account. You can use yahoo on the email app or you can use the new yahoo app. Which one is better in terms of push email and battery usage?
Push is push. You won't see any battery savings unless you're comparing to a pull setup. Configure the gmail account with the gmail app unless you have some reason to use another app.

With the latter, you can add exchange accounts and be able to have push email on Hotmail.
Whether Hotmail is push or not depends on how you set it up (same for Yahoo). If you set it up as POP it's pull. If you set it up as ActiveSync it's push.

OP
hgrimberg

hgrimberg

Reaction score
Well, with gmail you have the option to use the gmail app or the outlook that comes with the phone and set it up as push. My question is which one is better in terms of battery usage.
With hotmail, the only way to make it push is with exchange and for that you have to install the native android email app (yellow) that is a bit different than the one that comes with the stock motorola rom (red). On yahoo there is also the new yahoo app that seems to be push as well. Which one's better?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's no Outlook for Android. Again, push is push. Differences in battery usage for the client apps are negligible. Differences are significant once you start comparing push to pull.

With hotmail, the only way to make it push is with exchange and for that you have to install the native android email app (yellow)
You can use any email app that supports ActiveSync.

OP
hgrimberg

hgrimberg

Reaction score
Ok, but there is a difference between the client gmail app and the native android email app in terms of how fast you receive the emails. Sometimes emails arrive sooner on one of the two. So one is better in terms of push.
Yahoo is the same, you have the option to install the new yahoo app or just use the android email app. But emails don't arrive at the same time, even though both are push.

OP
hgrimberg

hgrimberg

Reaction score
Why not use something like K-9 (my preference) or Maildroid

There are many push email apps. Does K9 have a faster push than the android native app or the gmail or yahoo app? Is it better in the battery usage department?

davidwilp

Reaction score
Why not use something like K-9 (my preference) or Maildroid

There are many push email apps. Does K9 have a faster push than the android native app or the gmail or yahoo app? Is it better in the battery usage department?

I am by no means an expert, I really don't know the answers to your questions. All I know is I have tried Maildroid and K-9. Both good programs. For me K-9 was better. I really don't care about the speed of push. Sorry can't help there.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, but there is a difference between the client gmail app and the native android email app in terms of how fast you receive the emails. Sometimes emails arrive sooner on one of the two. So one is better in terms of push.
That all depends on how you have the email account set up. Gmail has multiple methods of access. Yahoo does as well. They can both be set up as push (IMAP) or pull (POP).

But emails don't arrive at the same time, even though both are push.
How, exactly, are you determining both to be push? See above.

Which uses more battery, push or pull?
Pull is less efficient. If your device has to poll (pull from) a server with no new mail then that polling is wasted power. A single wasted poll isn't that big of a deal but it adds up quickly especially if you have short polling intervals. With push, the email transfer is initiated by the server (pushed) as email arrives.

Push is push. The client app doesn't matter. Push transfers are initiated by the server (the definition of push), not the client. Your app won't make push faster. Power usage differences are negligible.

OP
hgrimberg

hgrimberg

Reaction score
I don't get why there is a gmail app when you have to configure your gmail account in the native email app.