K9 App

dobe

Reaction score
I have an email account with Frontiernet. It uses SMPT for outgoing mail and PoP3 for imcoming mail. They don't use SSL. It's powered by Yahoo -- whatever that means.

I'm new to smart phones so all of this is confusing to me. I've heard K9 is a much better email program than the program that comes with the Droid X. If I download the K9 app can I set-up my Frontier account within that program?

Most importantly will it push my home email to my phone? If so how long does the push to my phone take once the email hits my home computer? Thanks for your help.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I no longer use K-9, but I did you it for about 6-8 months.

You can setup your account in K-9. You will need to know the ports that your email provider uses. I'm sure you can find that info on their website or do a google.

With K-9, you set it up to poll the email account on any frequency you select (every 1 min, 3 min, 15 min, etc.). Emails will pushed to your phone when they are found.

I'm now using the native Gmail app for my Gmail and my pop3 email accounts. From the Google Gmail webpage you can setup your pop3 account to be polled by Google. The polling frequency is based on the account's activity (more emails = more frequent polling). From the accounts that I have programed this way, it seems that active accounts get polled about once per minute and inactive accounts get polled about oncer every 5 minutes. Emails are then immediately sent to the phone. BTW, this seems to save a lot of battery power because it eliminates the polling from your phone.

Good luck.

OP
D

dobe

Reaction score
I no longer use K-9, but I did you it for about 6-8 months.

You can setup your account in K-9. You will need to know the ports that your email provider uses. I'm sure you can find that info on their website or do a google.

With K-9, you set it up to poll the email account on any frequency you select (every 1 min, 3 min, 15 min, etc.). Emails will pushed to your phone when they are found.

I'm now using the native Gmail app for my Gmail and my pop3 email accounts. From the Google Gmail webpage you can setup your pop3 account to be polled by Google. The polling frequency is based on the account's activity (more emails = more frequent polling). From the accounts that I have programed this way, it seems that active accounts get polled about once per minute and inactive accounts get polled about oncer every 5 minutes. Emails are then immediately sent to the phone. BTW, this seems to save a lot of battery power because it eliminates the polling from your phone.

Good luck.

Thanks for your very informative reply. I like the idea of saving battery power!

So if I use the "native Gmail App", I don't need a G email address or do I set up a G email address and just not use it. I want to only use my Frontier address for the moment.

Do you like Gmail better than K9 because of the battery power savings or does it have other advantages over K9. Thanks again for your help.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, you already have a gmail account because the market and some other apps will not work without one. So when you open the gmail app your gmail will already be setup.

I like the simplicity of only having one app for all my accounts. I also like getting my pop3 emails quickly without having a battery drain issue. It all just works for me.

Good luck.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ArtieD

Reaction score
Good points about using GMail and adding your POP3 accounts and the automatic polling. But I'm a big fan of K9 and use it for all of my email accounts (4) including GMail.

First you need to understand the different types of accounts. GMail is IMAP email. That allows email to be pushed from the GMail server to your phone as soon as email is received at the server and it allows the use of common folders anywhere you access GMail. POP3 accounts like your Frontiernet (and hotmail, yahoo, cox, etc.) do not push out email and do not allow common folders. So with those you have to "fetch" your mail on a schedule you establish. For me I save most files using Outlook on my PC, so folders is not a big problem. And if I do want to save something to a folder on my phone, I put it in a GMail folder.

K9 has a ton of things you can customize. The feature that put me over the edge was the ability to open pictures automatically. About half my emails have pictures or images and with GMail you have to press a button to open them on every email that has a picture. It's just a much richer application all around. And it works fine with GMail. Set the polling to never for GMail because GMail is still pushed out to it and so it doesn't need to be polled. And use the notification settings in K9, but turn off notifications in GMail so you don't get duplicates.