Best Buy Can Update Almost Any Carrier's Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 5 Lollipop [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-exp-shop-best-buy.jpg

We haven't independently corroborated this, so for now consider it a rumor until after investigating it for yourself. Supposedly, if you take your Samsung Galaxy S5 into Best Buy you can get the firmware flashed by their Samsung Experience Shop to bring your Galaxy S5 up to Android 5 Lollipop. The source of this intel also claims that it will work with nearly any US carrier's device. The only exception is T-Mobile apparently. Here's a quote with more of the details,

A supposed Samsung Experience Shop rep posted to Reddit with details on how to get your phone upgraded to the latest version of Android. They claim you can ask a rep to flash the firmware to your Samsung Galaxy S5 even if it hasn’t started pushing out via the carrier themselves. There are a couple of caveats:
    • Samsung Experience Shops are only found at Best Buy, and not all Best Buys at that. Be sure to confirm your local Best Buy has a Samsung Experience Shop before heading in.
    • The rep notes that while almost all US carriers — even the small guys like MetroPCS and Boost — are capable of getting the update, T-Mobile is not. This is due to Best Buy not having a relationship with T-Mobile outside of selling prepaid phones.
    • Your phone can’t be rooted and it must be on the latest official firmware. The update will fail to apply otherwise.
We aren't sure what to make of this, so if you can confirm or deny it, please sound off in this thread. If it works, that will make a whole bunch of Samsung Galaxy S5 owners very happy!

Source: Phandroid

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I'd like to apologize to everyone. I have nothing constructive to say either confirming or denying this claim.

I am simply here to say...

Oh-Really.jpg

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Well it's almost true. Sprint is supposed to get 5.0 today. That's most carriers lol

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've read that the Best Buy 5.0 flash is bloat free.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
I'll let you know in 5 minutes. I'm going to call best buy and ask

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
My best buy has no clue what I was talking about. He didn't even know what lollipop was......

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
My best buy has no clue what I was talking about. He didn't even know what lollipop was......

The best I've ever gotten out of them was "Can I put that screen protector on for you?"

Not all of them are clueless, but the clueless ones are so many that when I stumble across someone in the know there it makes me do a double take.