Best Backup App?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by matchstikmatt, Nov 8, 2009.

1. matchstikmatt

matchstikmatt New Member

I want to backup my stuff and am debating over trying a couple of the free backup apps or paying for one. Which ones are best??? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
  2. ygohome

ygohome New Member

I would also like to know what people are using. I use SPB backup on my Windows Mobile phone and it backs up the entire system, emails, contacts, registry, etc. If I do something dumb or if an app screws up the registry I can just restore form the night before (i keep 10 days backed up and have it scheduled to backup each morning at 3am and then perform a soft reset)

is there something similar to that for the android phones?

Thanks
  3. MooseStuff

MooseStuff New Member

luckily contacts and such are sent to your google contacts. also all apps you have installed are linked to your gmail account. i dont know much about any back up apps because keeping it in the cloud works great for me.
  4. ygohome

ygohome New Member

But what if something really funky happens with the OS. Like the thread I was reading about where the widget causing a white block to continue appearing on the home wallpaper even after deleting the widget and app.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/3067-widget-home-screen-quetion.html

Stuff like that makes me think if we had a REAL backup app that backs up apps, email, contacts and system data then that guy could just restore from the previous backup and be good instead of having to go into Verizon and have them fix it for him.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  5. MooseStuff

MooseStuff New Member

yea i haven't heard of something like that just wanted to chime in on the contacts and such.
  6. Stigy

Stigy New Member

I used MyBackup (PRO after 30 days) on my TMobile G1. I would wipe and reload ALL the time with tons of different ROMs and because the custom ROMs would do some funky stuff to the phone and in about 15 minutes of restoring the phone was back to EXACTLY the way I had left it before I flashed the new firmware. MyBackup allows for scheduled backups as well, which I used to do during the night when I was sleeping and the phone was charging.

MyBackup v2.1.0 Application for Android | Tools
  7. mach330

mach330 New Member

gotta try this out later...thx.
  8. ygohome

ygohome New Member

x2 thanks Stigy... looks like a good one
  9. HarleyDad09

HarleyDad09 New Member

Apps are also backed up to the Gmail or Google account? Where can i verify this? I went to my Google Dashboard and I did not see the apps or an option to manage the apps anywhere. Thanks a lot. The only reason I ask is I think i am going to have to either do a hard reset or get a new Droid..it has been acting funny and I cannot find out why! Thanks guys! Stigy, you are awesome!
  10. jaysonstaurt

jaysonstaurt New Member

From what I can tell EVERYTHING on your phone is backed up with your gmail account.

I did a factory reset the other night and it erases everything and does a complete reload. The phone came back up 5 minutes later just like it was before the reset. All I had to do was setup my desktop widgets and preferences on some of my apps.
  11. HarleyDad09

HarleyDad09 New Member

Hmmm..that is interesting! All of your apps were still there?? That's wild!
  12. sterdroids

sterdroids New Member

Thats the point I guess of mybackup pro that mach330 mentions. Then you wouldnt have to even do this. Is that correct?

thanks
  13. thesweetstevie

thesweetstevie New Member

From what I can tell EVERYTHING on your phone is backed up with your gmail account.

I did a factory reset the other night and it erases everything and does a complete reload. The phone came back up 5 minutes later just like it was before the reset. All I had to do was setup my desktop widgets and preferences on some of my apps.

how do you access your apps and other information in your gmail account? and does the gmail account have ALL apps and other information?

thank you,

thesweetstevie
  14. ajs410

ajs410 New Member

I did a factory reset and it lost my SMS/MMS messages. I also had to import my contacts from the vCard file on the SD card, which I think was put there by VZW techs. I also lost app settings, like Locale situations, Exchange accounts, etc. Oddly, it remembered all of my wireless networks.

Most of my old apps did not re-install, but some did, which is kinda okay with me because I wanted to clean them off anyway. All of the apps I had were free, so I didn't mind if I lost any. I know several "file managers" like Astro can backup and restore applications to the SD card.
  15. Nasxen

Nasxen New Member

Just did a factory reset on my Droid. It reinstalled two apps (both purchased games) automatically. The rest were in the Marketplace -> Downloads. All the ones i had purchased were there still under the "purchased" label so all i needed to do was re-download them. My contacts sync'd accordingly... All in all it was a very painless procedure, and everything came back up well. No need for backup software...
  16. AJRAS

AJRAS Member

Did you have to re download your apps and book marks on the web and stuff
  17. joshnichols189

joshnichols189 New Member

I use titanium back up for the apps
  18. AJRAS

AJRAS Member

Titanium back up?thanx but no thanx (I'm not rooted nor do I want to be.......yet)
  19. jsmcdon1

jsmcdon1 New Member

Yep. MyBackup Pro is the way to go! Saved my butt twice now. Full backup of apps and data and full restore. I highly recommend it.
  20. twistedumbrella

twistedumbrella New Member

I was using this and Backup for Root Users when I had a mytouch. Installed both on the Droid, and after rooting needed to use them because I was doing the nandroid upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.1. Running Backup for Root Users went through the usual procedure, but left me with an empty folder on the sd, while MyBackup Pro removed the data from the phone itself. So if you ever need to wipe the phone without rebooting, I highly recommend these apps ;)
Search tags for this page
app backup
backing up droid apps
backup
backup apps
best backup apps for android
best backup for droid
droid app backup

droid backup

droid backup app

droid backup applications
droid backup apps