Before You Update Your Moto To 4.4.3.... PIE ROOT For 4.4.2 Motorola Devices!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you have upgraded to Kit Kat on your Moto device you have probably been waiting on a Root method. Good news Justin Case has released another root exploit for Motorola devices! This should work on any Moto X, Moto G, Moto E, Droid Mini, Maxx, or RAZR M as long as you are on Kit Kat 4.4.2 or a lesser build. I have tested the method on my Moto X which was running 4.4 and it does indeed work! This is a simple root method, however it is not a one click solution. You will need to know how to use ADB. Even though you have to use ADB this method is super simple. You only need to download the root file, extract it in your SDK folder, and then run the four terminal commands. Then you will need to install the SuperSU app from the playstore.

This is a "tethered root" meaning you will lose root after every reboot and will have to reapply the root. You can still use Xposed framework. To avoid losing you Xposed mods you will have to soft reboot after applying them. This also does not disable write protection so you still will not be able to change system apps or write system files. If you need root for your KK Moto device head to the thread below for the download.

Via XDA

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
So there is still no definitive root method for Android 4.4.2 or higher. I am still running 4.4, and would like to upgrade, but if I lose the ability to change system apps and files, then I'll pass.

Is there anything we can do to run the latest and greatest ROM on a locked Verizon Moto X? Is there an unlock method? Having a locked device that I own sucks! It's like owning a car with locked doors, and I only have a key for the trunk. :angry:

dja1980

Reaction score
So there is still no definitive root method for Android 4.4.2 or higher. I am still running 4.4, and would like to upgrade, but if I lose the ability to change system apps and files, then I'll pass.

Is there anything we can do to run the latest and greatest ROM on a locked Verizon Moto X? Is there an unlock method? Having a locked device that I own sucks! It's like owning a car with locked doors, and I only have a key for the trunk. :angry:
I agree completely... I was wondering if RootKeeper would allow us to get around the reboot issue, but it looks like it currently doesn't support 4.4.3.