Beautiful Widgets or Weather Widget donate?

rkeller62

Reaction score
Great, thank you all. I've only seen screen shots so I couldn't really tell what the big differance was, but I think I'm going with BW now.

Don't forget - if you totally hate an app and uninstall in the first 24 hours you will not be charged, but if you go with BW I think you will love it. :)

Zippster

Reaction score
WWD works just fine and looks great for me, had issues early on with clock not updating and having to re enter location quite a bit, but that all went away several updates ago for me.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now that BW has skins... it's no contest :) Beautiful Widgets gets my vote.

Magdroid

Reaction score
I've bought both. In my opinion WWD was slow to respond, and had quite a few glitches with very few updates. BW is updated all the time, with NEW features being added. WWD hasn't had a new feature in quite a long time. BW also has other widgets for toggling GPS, Vibrate, Silent, and others. It works quite well, and now with skinning is Beautiful! I use the naked Skin..and it no longer looks like a Widget, but looks like it is incorperated into the Android OS.

OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

Reaction score
I ended up buying BW, and I love it, my weather always seems to be off by a bit though, adn it hasn't changed temp all day?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I use the naked Skin..and it no longer looks like a Widget, but looks like it is incorperated into the Android OS.

Thanks, that is exactly why I sent BW the Droid Clock font to use and then made Naked Droid. I wanted a widget that looked like it was part of the system and matched the other clocks from the lockscreen and the new 2.1 DeskClock.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I ended up buying BW, and I love it, my weather always seems to be off by a bit though, adn it hasn't changed temp all day?

What time frame did you set the refresh to? It is adjustable from 15 mins and later.

However, the weather server (Google) forBW does hang up sometimes like all of those type of weather servers seem to do on occassion. It is not the app and you just have to wait for the weather server to get back online properly. I remember right after the Droid was released we lost the Accuweather server connection for about a week until they got it "fixed". That is the one used for the Multimedia "Dock Clock"

loop4zil

Reaction score
My comparison

I have both widgets....I LIKE both widgets. I find I switch between the two depending on my mood. I CONSTANLY mess with my display/wallpaper/clock and weather. I like to mix it up, and I am always trying out new looks

Here is my comparison.

Similarities: Both cost about the same (1.50 US if I recall). On the home screen both display time, location, date, a current weather graphic, a current weather description and a "H" and a "L" temp for the day. When Tapped they launch a full screen view of the current weather graphic with fancy animations such as clouds or rain. (weather widget donate requires an additional free down load for the animations). At the bottom of the full screen view is a three day weather forecast (weather graphic with a high and low temp) . They both have settings where you can: have the weather shown for a specified location or your actual location (uses GPS i guess), adjust the update frequency or force update the app, set the time to the 24 hour format, set the temperature to Celsius, adjust the sun/moon timing . They both have an option to down load skins to change the look and feel of the widget. Both have digital clock and flip clock style skins. The skins seem to be made by enthusiast and the population of skins for each app seems to be increasing. Both look damn good. Both have different size widgets

Differentiators:

Weather Widget donate: Allows for weather skins as well as clock skins allowing for more customization. Weather widget donate has 4 sizes of widgets: Clock and Weather (largest), Weather Large, Weather Small, Weather Tiny (Only the clock widget shows the time). Weather widget donate allows you to set up an app shortcut when you tap the three day forecast on the full screen view...pretty handy to tie in a weather app to that to get a deeper view. You also have an setting that allow you to launch the stock alarm app when tapping the clock widget if you don't care for the full-screen-pretty-animation-three-day-forecast-view. Layout: Weather graphic in the middle of the clock

Beautiful Widgets: In addition to the Home Widget (the clock and weather) you get toggle widgets for GPS, Bluetooth, Plane, Silent, Vibrate and Wifi. You also get a 1X4 Smaller Home Widget that displays the time as well as the weather (same info as the larger home widget). The tool that allows you to change the skins provides a preview (skins preview absent in weather widget donate as of 1/27/10), which is very handy. In the stock layout you can change the font of the clock. You have three fonts to choose from Android, Bloodwax an Tahoma. Layout: Weather graphic under the the clock to the left side of the screen.

OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

Reaction score

What time frame did you set the refresh to? It is adjustable from 15 mins and later.

However, the weather server (Google) forBW does hang up sometimes like all of those type of weather servers seem to do on occassion. It is not the app and you just have to wait for the weather server to get back online properly. I remember right after the Droid was released we lost the Accuweather server connection for about a week until they got it "fixed". That is the one used for the Multimedia "Dock Clock"
That makes sense, it finally changed temerature this morning.

I'm still 110% satisfied with it.

rkeller62

Reaction score
I have both widgets....I LIKE both widgets. I find I switch between the two depending on my mood. I CONSTANLY mess with my display/wallpaper/clock and weather. I like to mix it up, and I am always trying out new looks

Here is my comparison.

Similarities: Both cost about the same (1.50 US if I recall). On the home screen both display time, location, date, a current weather graphic, a current weather description and a "H" and a "L" temp for the day. When Tapped they launch a full screen view of the current weather graphic with fancy animations such as clouds or rain. (weather widget donate requires an additional free down load for the animations). At the bottom of the full screen view is a three day weather forecast (weather graphic with a high and low temp) . They both have settings where you can: have the weather shown for a specified location or your actual location (uses GPS i guess), adjust the update frequency or force update the app, set the time to the 24 hour format, set the temperature to Celsius, adjust the sun/moon timing . They both have an option to down load skins to change the look and feel of the widget. Both have digital clock and flip clock style skins. The skins seem to be made by enthusiast and the population of skins for each app seems to be increasing. Both look damn good. Both have different size widgets

Differentiators:

Weather Widget donate: Allows for weather skins as well as clock skins allowing for more customization. Weather widget donate has 4 sizes of widgets: Clock and Weather (largest), Weather Large, Weather Small, Weather Tiny (Only the clock widget shows the time). Weather widget donate allows you to set up an app shortcut when you tap the three day forecast on the full screen view...pretty handy to tie in a weather app to that to get a deeper view. You also have an setting that allow you to launch the stock alarm app when tapping the clock widget if you don't care for the full-screen-pretty-animation-three-day-forecast-view. Layout: Weather graphic in the middle of the clock

Beautiful Widgets: In addition to the Home Widget (the clock and weather) you get toggle widgets for GPS, Bluetooth, Plane, Silent, Vibrate and Wifi. You also get a 1X4 Smaller Home Widget that displays the time as well as the weather (same info as the larger home widget). The tool that allows you to change the skins provides a preview (skins preview absent in weather widget donate as of 1/27/10), which is very handy. In the stock layout you can change the font of the clock. You have three fonts to choose from Android, Bloodwax an Tahoma. Layout: Weather graphic under the the clock to the left side of the screen.

BW also will take you to the stock alarm clock app - just tap the clock portion of the widget and it opens the alarm clock. Touch the date portion and the stock calendar app opens too. No need to give up one for another - just touch the appropriate part of the widget to launch what you want - alarms, calendar or weather animations. :icon_ banana:

Zippster

Reaction score
The last couple posts here have said more then the entire thread, give people REAL info about both, not simply "I love this one even though I have never used or have any clue about the other" :blink:

loop4zil

Reaction score

Here is my comparison.

Differentiators:

BW also will take you to the stock alarm clock app - just tap the clock portion of the widget and it opens the alarm clock. Touch the date portion and the stock calendar app opens too. No need to give up one for another - just touch the appropriate part of the widget to launch what you want - alarms, calendar or weather animations. :icon_ banana:
Very cool! thanks for the tip

MJ5150

Reaction score
Amidst all the hype for the new BW, I bought it last night. Previously I have been a fan of WWD.

I decided to keep WWD simply because for the location display, it also includes the state I am in. Not that I don't know where I am, it just looks cooler to me when it says Seattle, WA instead of just Seattle.

The ability to see the skin before I download it is cool too on BW, but I can also see the WWD ones on the website before I download those too.

-Mike