Battery life issues.

Lennie

Reaction score
Last night, I turned my HTC Rezound OFF at 9:45 PM with 95% battery left, today at 4 PM (18 hours later) the battery was dead and it would not boot. I was forced to plug it in and boot it after 10 minutes of charging. I am wondering how 95% of the battery was lost after 18 hours of it being turned OFF.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Did you get the screen asking if you wanted power off, restart, etc.? Seems what is more likely is that the screen was off, and the phone spent the rest of its battery life searching for 3G or 4G until it died.

OP
L

Lennie

Reaction score
No, the phone was indeed fully off. I have had a problem before with the phone turning off randomly, but never turning on randomly. Even if it were to have turned on, mobile and wifi were off as well as all location services. I have left my phone ON overnight before with mobile and google location services turned on, and it drained to only 10% battery, but was still on. Thus, the phone should not have fully died if it were to have turned on in the night.

indee2025

Reaction score
Last night, I turned my HTC Rezound OFF at 9:45 PM with 95% battery left, today at 4 PM (18 hours later) the battery was dead and it would not boot. I was forced to plug it in and boot it after 10 minutes of charging. I am wondering how 95% of the battery was lost after 18 hours of it being turned OFF.

I have 2 suggestions, the first is easy, the second not so much depending on how tech savvy you might be.

First Suggestion: There are TONS of minor tweaks you can do to your non-rooted stock HTC Rezound to cut down on battery consumption.
-Turn off automatic brightness but instead set it at about 40% or just a little less than halfway on the bar.
-Go into the Market (play store) tap the menu button, click settings, scroll down to google admob "serve me interest based ads" and turn that off by removing the check mark.
-Go into settings, location, make sure no other gps function is turned on except google, deselect verizon and third party gps features.
-Go into play store, click sub menu, click settings, be sure the box is empty where it says auto update all apps, go back into the sub menu, click my apps, check each app to ensure the "automatic update" selection box is empty.
-Go into the play store, click the sub menu button, click my apps, click on the blockbuster app and my verizon app and update them if available. Once they are updated they will stop searching for updates which drains your battery.
-Go to settings, applications, click runing services, go to the all tab, click the sub menu button, click to see cache then clear the cache and tell programs such as HTCnotify to stop.
-GO TO SETTINGS, ACCOUNTS & SYNC, UNCHECK AUTO SYNC, DISABLE FACEBOOK ETC ABILITY TO SYNC AUTOMATICALLY!!!

Option 2: Root your phone by following the directions from the htcdev website to first unlock the bootloader & then apply the amon ra recovery flash img all available from this website & mediafire upload.
-After this download "Root Explorer" from the play store, open it, go to the folder system, app, then scroll down to Vrzlocationagent.apk and click R/W (read & write) button at the top on the screen then press the Vrzlocationagent.apk and click rename, then rename it by leaving the name the same but simply changing .apk to .bak.
The verizon location agent is a HUGE battery hog and is only able to be changed if you give your device root (superuser permission) the program simply searches for the best tower to provide service, it sounds like its needed, its NOT! Your device will benefit most from option 2.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
For your phone to drop 95% while its off tells me that you have something seriously wrong with your phone. Call VZ and have them send you a new phone. They might have you try a factory reset first. That seems to be their "go to" fix when they otherwise don't have a clue. So if you want to try that before you call them, it's up to you.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

indee2025

Reaction score
For your phone to drop 95% while its off tells me that you have something seriously wrong with your phone. Call VZ and have them send you a new phone. They might have you try a factory reset first. That seems to be their "go to" fix when they otherwise don't have a clue. So if you want to try that before you call them, it's up to you.

There are a lot of reasons why the drain could occur that a new replacement wouldn't fix, def need to know what you have done to prevent the device from draining, If you just popped the device out of the box and said yes,yes,yes,ok,ok,ok to al the reuests the prompts ask you when you set up the Rezound your battery is working overtime to send your personal information out to google & others while Verizon backup competes with google backup to see who can suck your battery the fastest, It's terrible Android devices are this way but thankfully there is a plethora of communities & forums to help

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I'm going under the assumption that the phone was completely off. If it wasn't then yes there could many things that would drain the battery. But if it's really turned off then it's one of two things, either the battery is bad or the phone is bad. The phone doesn't update when it's off.

OP
L

Lennie

Reaction score
I am tech savvy. So questions like "was the phone completely off" are unneeded. In response to indee2025, I have conserved on just about every power eating setting I can before this, and I have thought about rooting my phone but I do not want to deal with all the in-depth stuff. In response to LoudRam, I am currently on my 5th replacement of this phone because of internal problems and have done a total of 6 factory resets. Due to the inconvenience of factory resets and replacements, I will probably just switch to a different phone if one of those actions is needed.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I'm sorry that you're having these problems. This is not the norm for the Rezound. Unfortunately it looks like you don't much of a choice but to try a different phone. Sorry we couldn't help.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I am tech savvy. So questions like "was the phone completely off" are unneeded. In response to indee2025, I have conserved on just about every power eating setting I can before this, and I have thought about rooting my phone but I do not want to deal with all the in-depth stuff. In response to LoudRam, I am currently on my 5th replacement of this phone because of internal problems and have done a total of 6 factory resets. Due to the inconvenience of factory resets and replacements, I will probably just switch to a different phone if one of those actions is needed.
Lennie, go back to your first post. re-read it. At the time you posted it, your total posts were 1. You gave us no information about your "expertise" in technology, and no information about what you had previously experienced with your phone, except that you turned it off for 18 hours and the battery was dead when you turned it back on. Your post sat unanswered for quite a while, and then when some chimed in to help, your ego overcame your sense of gratitude. The first thing you need to fix is your attitude, or find another forum. The folks on this forum are here to help, not to get scoffed at for their advice.