automatic on/off

dabootsan

Reaction score
I recently went from a BB curve to the
Droid. Is there a function to allow the phone startup and shut down at specific times of day?

Thanks

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not that I know of......but I can see that where you came from a BB you are used to having to restart your phone constantly! Well thats not necessary with Android....it can take it lol

superglen99

Reaction score
The closest you can get is this awesome app called locale. It's in the market and you get a free 30 trial. It lets you determine either by gps or time how your phone behaves. For example I used locale to at 3am (when I go to bed) dim the screen and turn of all noises except alarm clock. Then at 12pm when I get up it would automatically turn the sound back on, brighten the screen and turn on wifi. It's pretty sweet and I recommend it. I don't hink there is a restart option though but I could be wrong.

OP
D

dabootsan

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was just more concerned with the battery usage. I have had the Droid for about 3 days, so it's a big learning curve.

gentlefury

Reaction score
The closest you can get is this awesome app called locale. It's in the market and you get a free 30 trial. It lets you determine either by gps or time how your phone behaves. For example I used locale to at 3am (when I go to bed) dim the screen and turn of all noises except alarm clock. Then at 12pm when I get up it would automatically turn the sound back on, brighten the screen and turn on wifi. It's pretty sweet and I recommend it. I don't hink there is a restart option though but I could be wrong.

Locale never worked for me...it was pretty useless, I tried to use it for the same reason and it just didnt work.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was just more concerned with the battery usage. I have had the Droid for about 3 days, so it's a big learning curve.

Battery life gets better as the power-monitoring software adapts to your use. Also it's worth completely draining the batter (until it auto shuts off) twice to aid the calibration process.

There's also some programs on the market that can aid battery life (by disabling data during sleep ect.) if it's really an issue.

The BEST thing you can do for battery life, IMHO is to root and run SetCPU (which will also give you the option to overclock) but the profile settings will greatly improve battery life. I can easily go more than a full (18hr) day with a LOT of phone and wi-fi use. With lighter use I can get a day and a half.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Though I don't believe any app can "turn on" a phone (I may, of course, be wrong), Locale seems an ideal solution for the OP since it can turn on/off "airplane mode" or practically any other app setting by time, location, or state of the battery.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

The BEST thing you can do for battery life, IMHO is to root and run SetCPU (which will also give you the option to overclock) but the profile settings will greatly improve battery life. I can easily go more than a full (18hr) day with a LOT of phone and wi-fi use. With lighter use I can get a day and a half.

Sorry, but I don't think it's a good idea to recommend that a new user root their phone as if it's a simple process without potential consequences, especially for those who aren't savvy about what "rooting" means in terms of possible damage they can do.

Not saying your advice is incorrect. Just noting that "rooting," much less overclocking, is not something I would recommend to someone who has just gotten an android device and doesn't understand the details of the operating system.