Auto orientation no longer working

PinkV

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hopefully some kind soul can answer this for me.
I've had the Droid Eris for about a month now. So far no major problems.

I loved that the keyboard (for texting, browsing, etc) automatically changed to landscape if you rotated the phone. I LOVED this.

But then I noticed that it was taking some time to orient. Now it doesn't do it at all.

I'm extremely frustrated. HTC web site is less than helpful.
Yes, the "auto orientation" box is checked. Software has been updated. Tried a soft reset but that didn't do it. Uninstalled an app I thought might be the problem, but that wasn't it either. I have recalibrated the "g sensor" like 10 times. Still nothing.

Is anyone else having this problem? Are there any fixes? Is it just a bad accelerometer? I'd rather not hand my precious phone over to a (possibly incompetent) Verizon associate, but if there are no other solutions...

Any suggestions are appreciated--I'm not techie at all, though, so plain language please. Thank you!

bcfl22

Reaction score
Left Handed ?

Don't take this as sarcastic - but are you left handed ? I had the same problem. Kept messing settings, rebooting, etc. and couldn't get the phone to switch orientation. I ran the "Bubble" app and saw that is works, so the gyro was still working. Just wouldn't change orientation automatically. Then for some reason I tilted it to the left instead of the right and realized my phone seems to only recognize an orientation switch in one direction. Since I was holding it in my left hand I kept tilting to the right and it wouldn't do it.

Again, when I run Bubble or go to the calibration screen it recognizes both directions. Email and home screen only seen to recognize re-orienting to the left. Not sure if this is by design. If so, I'm sure someone will get their ego boost for the week by flaming us both for not reading an FAQ or something.

Tabby

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem just about. Although with my eris it will eventually switch to landscape after 4-5 minutes of holding it at every different angle possible obviously excluding upright position. There is no way I'm going to take the time to force it to switch orientation everytime I want to text etc.. Quite a frustrating problem. Help!

edglock21

Reaction score
I've noticed that the "flatter" I hold it, the less it likes to switch to landscape view, if it's held more "vertically" (perpendicular to the ground) the switch happens almost instantly.

One other thing I've noticed too - when the battery is getting low, the switch takes more time/doesn't occur as easily. On the charger, again, it's almost instant.

Tabby

Reaction score
Hmm mine is not instant whether its on the charger or not.. as I think back I dont think there's ever been a time where it switched instantly or for that matter, relatively quickly, no matter how I hold the phone.

sunshine5n

Reaction score
I am having the same problem... it used to auto rotate to text or email when I turned the phone. I've only had this phone for 2 weeks and it has already stopped doing it. Yes, the box is still checked to auto rotate and no I am not left handed. The only way I can access the horizontal touch keyboard is to first slide open the other keyboard and then shut it while still holding it horizontal. Very annoying since I like the horiz touch keyboard the best. Any ideas?

zip

Reaction score
I had an issue with this and found a way to correct it.
My phone would no longer auto rotate and when I went to Settings and tried to check auto Orientation on it would uncheck itself.

What I did was scroll to the bottom of Settings, select G-Sensor Calibration, set the phone on a flat surface, recalibrate it then go and turn it back on in Orientation.

Now it works. :icon_ banana:

sunshine5n

Reaction score
Thanks for the help zip. Actually though I went to the verizon store againa and this time someone was able to help me. Apparently all you have to do is remove the battery and put it back in and then it is just fine. Now it works again!

jrobiii

Reaction score
Thanks for the help zip. Actually though I went to the verizon store againa and this time someone was able to help me. Apparently all you have to do is remove the battery and put it back in and then it is just fine. Now it works again!

Hey Sunshine, removing the battery saved me a trip to the Verizon store with my Motorola Droid. Thanks

-Jim