Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

padfone.w.stylus.jpg

ASUS has finally launched the phone-tablet hybrid product we’ve been waiting for since last year’s announcement— that’s right… the Padfone is here.​

[video=youtube;Rrh_EwFaZ7I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rrh_EwFaZ7I[/video]

Full list of specs for the phone half of ASUS' Padfone:

WCDMA 900/2100MHz
EDGE/GPS 850/900/1800/1900MHz
HSPA+ 21/5.76Mbps (42Mbps Optional)
Android 4.0 (ICS)
Snapdragon S4 (dual-core Krait) with Adreno 225 GPU
1GB LPDDR2 RAM + 16 - 64GB eMMC NAND
802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, 3.5mm audio jack, microUSB 2.0
4.3-inch Super AMOLED qHD (960 x 540)
Rear Camera: 8MP F2.2, AF with LED Flash
Front Camera: VGA
Motion sensor, proximity light sensor, gyro sensor, e-compass
1520mAh Li-ion
microSD expansion slot (SDHC/SDXC up to 32GB)
Dimensions: 128mm x 65.4mm x 9.2mm
Weight: 129g

When docked in the tablet, the Padfone gains the following new specs:

Micro USB + Micro HDMI
10.1-inch 1280 x 800 display with Capacative Touch
Rear Camera: 8MP (via Padfone rear camera)
Front Camera: 1.3MP (1280 x 800)
Vibration sensor, 2 color LED indicators for battery status
24.4Whr Battery
2-in-1 audio jack, 40-pin connector
Phone/GPS
Dimensions: 273mm x 176.9mm x 13.65mm (h-average)
Weight: 724g

This intriguing device launches in April. No prices are known as of yet.

Source: Transformer Forums via ASUS

Last edited by a moderator:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nice. I remember when we thought this was going to be Google's big announcement (2 things coming together to form something "big"). Looks like Asus will be the first to the market with this idea.

droidxd00d

Reaction score
This looks great. I honestly might consider getting this. That phones styling is so awesome. I love the spun aluminum look of Asus devices. Hopefully if it is actual metal it can avoid the problems the transformer prime faced.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
anyone know if this will work on big red?
Probably not...know why?

"Use two devices on one data plan". Verizon will never let that happen...they'd probably want three data plans, one for the phone, one for the tablet, and one for kicks and tickles.

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
Thought the commercial was great, but they ruined it at the end with some big manly voice saying "ASUS!!!" lol it didnt match the light/fun tone of the commercial...

all critiquing aside, this is exactly what a tablet should be.

Tank_Tak

Reaction score
I soooo want this phone, please please please let it come to Verizon

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
Probably not...know why?

"Use two devices on one data plan". Verizon will never let that happen...they'd probably want three data plans, one for the phone, one for the tablet, and one for kicks and tickles.

Actually I have to disagree with you. Basically this is a glorified phone and lapdock, which Big Red is pretty supportive of. Atleast thats how I see it. Lol

ASUS may or maynot push it as so though, so I guess we'll wait and see.

Butt dialed from my hamburger phone

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't know what VZW decided with the lapdock...I know AT&T tried to charge extra for it. But ultimately this is different than tethering, as you are only able to really use one device at a time (which is a real distinction vs. tethering, even if somewhat unfair for a individual user tethering their PC).

And since most new plans are limited, anyway, VZW shouldn't really care. Potentially hot-selling device like this would attract a lot of new users and also might save VZW some money on the subsidy.

I've already decided on something like the padfone when my laptop dies. But I've got 2-yrs before I upgrade my phone, anyway. Besides, while the quad-core 1.5ghz is a decent processor to replace a low/mid-tier laptop, realistically it needs at least 2gigs of ram. I think when you dual-boot Chrome OS (at some point in the future) or that new Linux thing out that you'll be disappointed in the performance with only 1gig of ram, which will be a shame for people looking for the lapdock feature to be as good as a netbook, much less something more.

jbdavies

Reaction score
All that and he only gets a peck on the cheek?! WTF!? Messed up.

But yeah. Total sweetness. It'll match my ASUS Laptop. :p Or replace it... hmmmmm....

djembeman

Reaction score
Sounds more like AT&T!

Probably not...know why?

AT&T charged/charges an additional tethering plan when they released the Atrix LapDock. Verizon never charged nor charges any additional fees to use the Motorola LapDocks. I would think Verizon would treat the padfone the same.

I bet AT&T would charge you extra to use this phone/tab/laptop on their network.

DROID BIONIC, Stock rooted .902, 4everoot.

Last edited:

Tank_Tak

Reaction score
wow, showed this to my mom and she said she actually wants to get one too. weird, my mom has always had a flip phone and now she wants this.....ah well she can finally step into the tech age and have something good for a change. really cant wait to get this