Apps Backup

chaffee007

Reaction score
Do I really need to backup my apps? Can't I just reinstall them from the Market? The Market knows which ones I own anyway.

I am using MyBackupPro for data, but do not want to use the space needed for this because it puts me over the 50MB free space.

the5barrons

Reaction score
What are you doing? Yes, the market remembers what you've bought and downloaded. Free apps, it won't. The backup, makes it easy to get to a restore point if you're flashing ROM's and whatnot.

OP
C

chaffee007

Reaction score
thx

Thanks for the quick reply. I am simply wondering it is worth backing them up. I am not rooting yet, but maybe it will come in handy then.

You confirmed my suspicions. :)

hjlane3

Reaction score
What are you doing? Yes, the market remembers what you've bought and downloaded. Free apps, it won't. The backup, makes it easy to get to a restore point if you're flashing ROM's and whatnot.

I don't think that's completely accurate. I've been hopping back and forth between a couple ROMs, each time doing a fresh install and not a backup restore, and the Market Seems to automatically re-install all my previously installed apps; even the free ones.

the5barrons

Reaction score

I don't think that's completely accurate. I've been hopping back and forth between a couple ROMs, each time doing a fresh install and not a backup restore, and the Market Seems to automatically re-install all my previously installed apps; even the free ones.

It depends on where you are storing your apps. SDcard? Should retain. Anything on the sys. folders...wiped and the Market will remember.

hjlane3

Reaction score
None of them had been installed to the SD card. I know it's the market that was installing them, because the apps would suddenly just start appearing on the device after I logged into the market for the first time on the new isntall.

the5barrons

Reaction score
None of them had been installed to the SD card. I know it's the market that was installing them, because the apps would suddenly just start appearing on the device after I logged into the market for the first time on the new isntall.

Well, whatever. If the market installs the free ones too...fantastic.

Do they require backup? Can't hurt, but it doesn't seem necessary if the market is going to remember.

xliderider

Reaction score
I always back up my apps with Titanium Backup, because it also stores the user settings/preferences and data associated with the apps as well.

I also backup my apps with Astro, just because. ;)

I've already come across two apps that have since disappeared from the Market that I still use, because I have the apk files backed up to my sd card/PC.

dadarkside

Reaction score
you should back up your apps and data. period. always. don't depend on the cloud to save your data.

titanium backup gets my thumbs up.

maderschramm

Reaction score
TO THE CLOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ONE!!!!!!!!!!!1

I use titanium even though market backs up my apps as well. Why not, it's not like I'm short of space on my sdcard anyway. Plus, that way you can back up specific apps only. I backup all my apps, then use titanium to restore only the ones I want.

adsfa34

Reaction score
TO THE CLOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ONE!!!!!!!!!!!1

I use titanium even though market backs up my apps as well. Why not, it's not like I'm short of space on my sdcard anyway. Plus, that way you can back up specific apps only. I backup all my apps, then use titanium to restore only the ones I want.

+1 TiBu also backs up /restores app data, which can save a lot of time not having to re-setup your apps. The paid version is WELL worth the money for the speed and the one-click restore / install.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Hmmmm, am I the only person around here who uses AppBrain for app backing up? Seems to work well so far...havent really had a reason to use it yet as I have had no issues with my DX...but just in case I like having all my apps on a secondary "cloud" as well...and its free!:)

wmscottmc

Reaction score
you should back up your apps and data. period. always. don't depend on the cloud to save your data.

titanium backup gets my thumbs up.

I agree. You must be rooted and use a backup program like Titanium to backup your data. You can usually restore your apps, but if your app saves any data it needs to be backed up, and you must be rooted in order to backup data for most apps unless the app includes a backup option which creates a backup on the sd card.