app to hide contacts

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
How about having a girlfriend who is nosy, and figures your business is hers, but hers isn't yours.

I would rather have a "hide contact" type app, the less people know, the fewer questions are asked.

Password protecting the phone, only leads to more questions... "Why does your phone have a password, and mine doesn't?" "What are you hiding?" Yeah, I can see the questions now.

Even though I think this is a relationship problem, not a Droid problem, there does seem to be a great demand for hiding what you are doing with the phone. Maybe make a post in the Droid Apps or Droid App Development section to let people know just how popular such an app would be. My guess is that it could be a paid app with a very high price tag, if the posts around here are any indication.

And I'm going to go throw up now. :icon_eek:

:rofl3::rofl3: I take it this thread isn't your favorite :):)

What was your first clue?:ph34r:

:rofl3:

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even though I think this is a relationship problem, not a Droid problem, there does seem to be a great demand for hiding what you are doing with the phone. Maybe make a post in the Droid Apps or Droid App Development section to let people know just how popular such an app would be. My guess is that it could be a paid app with a very high price tag, if the posts around here are any indication.

And I'm going to go throw up now. :icon_eek:

I'm really not sure but it was a good guess :rofl3: :rofl3:

In all seriousness. I have nothing to hide and don't lock my phone. My girlfriend can look and my boss knows i'm job hunting :rofl3: :rofl3: but apparently some do

JessiesGirl

Reaction score

I'm really not sure but it was a good guess :rofl3: :rofl3:

In all seriousness. I have nothing to hide and don't lock my phone. My girlfriend can look and my boss knows i'm job hunting :rofl3: :rofl3: but apparently some do

My ninja skills: :rating01:

I don't know, I really do find it sad that so many people are doing things that they feel the need to hide from their partners.

:soapbox: alert!

If you've ever been cheated on, and/or had that 'unknown other paramour' physically attack you, resulting in thousands of dollars of legal fees and at least a year in the legal system while your life was falling apart around you, these questions just aren't amusing.

Sorry to be a complete downer and threadkiller, but these things do happen. Enabling the men who set these situations up is not ever going to be my idea of a good time. :mad:

AND I will bow out of this thread now....

iPirate

Reaction score
I'm not going to argue either way, but I feel the frequently called list is useless when you can put people on the favorites list.

MJE

Reaction score
We seem to have forgotten there are legitimate reasons for needing to hide contacts and have gotten totally away from the original question....and I share that original question.

My husband is a supervisor at work and often needs to call suborinates out on calls after hours. His company requires that he keep their personal phone numbers private, so on our Centros he would simply hide those contacts. But now that we have Droids we don't have that ability and really need to find a solution ASAP. So.....back to the original question:

Is there an app that will allow us to hide contacts?

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
You can assign your contacts to groups and hide certain groups if you use gmail. This functionality is supported wihout the addition of an app.

dayfornight99

Reaction score
I don't understand why more security on the driod bothers people. While you can pattern lock the phone, you can also read the smudges on occasion giving away your pattern. I'd like to lock contacts, I'd like to password protect access to gmail. I work for a large government agency. I'd like to be able to feel more secure if I need to use the droid for work functions. I'd appreciate the option for extra layers of security if I want them.

Last edited:

MJE

Reaction score
I played around briefly with hiding groups and thay may be an OK intermittant fix, but anyone Droid savvy could easily go in and show them since there's no password involved, just a choice in options.

OP
T

theguy386

Reaction score
You can assign your contacts to groups and hide certain groups if you use gmail. This functionality is supported wihout the addition of an app.

I played around briefly with hiding groups and thay may be an OK intermittant fix, but anyone Droid savvy could easily go in and show them since there's no password involved, just a choice in options.

would either of you like to explain about the whole contact group thing? is it something done over the phone? comp? can it be unhidden?
how can it be done?

dro

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good app to hide and unhide contacts? I searched in the market, but only came out with a couple of apps that didnt turn out to well

What I do is simply put the girls name into my phone as a similar males name. Jack E = Jackie, Sam Antha = Samantha, etc... Orrr how about "Bob - from friday" This along with hidden galleries and deleting threads after chit chats and your Droid will be girlfriend proof.

OP
T

theguy386

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good app to hide and unhide contacts? I searched in the market, but only came out with a couple of apps that didnt turn out to well

What I do is simply put the girls name into my phone as a similar males name. Jack E = Jackie, Sam Antha = Samantha, etc... Orrr how about "Bob - from friday" This along with hidden galleries and deleting threads after chit chats and your Droid will be girlfriend proof.

lol, i started doing that today actually

OP
T

theguy386

Reaction score
ok, so I started playing with a few things today and this is what I've found to work... a little lengthy but it works:

-Create another google account
-Add contacts to that google account
-When viewing contacts you can actually select what account to view contacts from (you can have both your accounts display or only one)

now, I was a bit sceptical about this... but when I received a call/txt from a "non-displayed" contact, it will actually display that name. In which case you can just use any of the call/txt blocker that you find in the market.

so whenever I want to be private I just hide my contacts from that account and activate my blocker

Hope this helps you guys out :)

Droidnought

Reaction score
Is there an app that will allow us to hide contacts?
B-Folders is a password wallet type of app that stores information encrypted. It has a "Contacts" section that allows you to enter full contact information and save it in an encrypted file. If you unlock it and select one of the names in the contact section, you can tell it to dial and it will pass the phone number to the Phone app for dialing. I don't believe it displays the name on incoming calls.

Of course the number will show up in the Call Log, but it can be cleared.

Wally

MNTNBKR

Reaction score

would either of you like to explain about the whole contact group thing? is it something done over the phone? comp? can it be unhidden?
how can it be done?

I don't think you are able to assign contacts to groups using the phone yet. I believe the only way to do it right now is by logging on to your gmail account and editing your contacts there. So, what you do it set up your groups (I have business, personal, friends, family, suppliers, customers, etc.) in gmail. When your phone syncs the contacts, the groups will show up in your display options.

On your phone: While in contacts hit the menu button, then display options. Then, click on your gmail account that your contacts are synced from, and you will be presented with a list of your groups. Simply checking / unchecking the boxes will control whether contacts in those groups will be displayed in your contact list.

No, it's not really a "secure" feature, but it's the only way that I know of at this point to hide contacts. I love that I can keep all of my contacts (business and personal) on my phone, but I don't have to see or scroll past 100's of business contacts to get to my brothers number.

ScenicPath

Reaction score
Missing Treo's 'Hide Contacts' function

Alas, this is one of the areas where Palm OS had it all over Android. I'm a psychologist, so legally (under HIPPA) and ethically, I must protect the personal health information (name, contact info, DOB, etc.) of my patients. Yet, this is just the information I often need to have at hand when I'm not in one of my two offices. Imagine, someone calls in crisis and is suicidal - I'm gonna want to have their address and their emergency contact person's info ready to hand. My old Treos (650 & 700p) would allow me to hide contacts, retrieve them with one quickly gotten at password, and best of all, if my phone was stolen (happened once) and if someone tried to get at the info - it automatically deleted itself.

The currently available apps on the Marketplace are inadequate/awkward/buggy, and seem to be set up to deceive, rather than protect. Yuck. Couldn't some smart techie write an app that password protects like the Palm did? That, and a memo app that's as easy & quick as the Treo's - google doc's okay, but not as fluid. Sigh.

The Droid is great, and does everything but tap dance - yet the things I used the most on the Treo don't work quite as elegantly. Surprising...