App Suggestion for WiFi

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's my problem. I have wifi in my home and I have no problem connecting. The problem is staying connected. When I try to connect to a link on the internet my wifi loses connection and the 3G icon pops up. Then there appears to be a battle for control between 3G and WiFi. Is there an app that will lock in my connection so I don't keep losing it?

SGTiger

Reaction score
Here's my problem. I have wifi in my home and I have no problem connecting. The problem is staying connected. When I try to connect to a link on the internet my wifi loses connection and the 3G icon pops up. Then there appears to be a battle for control between 3G and WiFi. Is there an app that will lock in my connection so I don't keep losing it?

The Wifi signal should remain locked unless the signal from your wireless router/AP is too weak. Perhaps you can relocate the wireless router or AP to a location where the signal is strong throughout your home.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Wifi signal should remain locked unless the signal from your wireless router/AP is too weak. Perhaps you can relocate the wireless router or AP to a location where the signal is strong throughout your home.

Unfortunately that's not an option. I don't think the signal is weak because in the same rooms that I use it and I have TiVo's and they are hooked up to my wireless network as well. They are showing getting a signal of anywhere between 50% and 60%. 50% is considered moderate on TiVo's meter and 60% is considered good.

Besides the TiVo's I also have an Airport Express hooked up so I can play my iTunes through my sound systems receiver. No problems there either.

SGTiger

Reaction score

Unfortunately that's not an option. I don't think the signal is weak because in the same rooms that I use it and I have TiVo's and they are hooked up to my wireless network as well. They are showing getting a signal of anywhere between 50% and 60%. 50% is considered moderate on TiVo's meter and 60% is considered good.

Besides the TiVo's I also have an Airport Express hooked up so I can play my iTunes through my sound systems receiver. No problems there either.

Well if you have a strong signal yet you cannot browse the internet via wifi, perhaps you are not authenticating with your wireless router. You can connect to a wifi router, but without authenticating with it's WEP or WPA security it will revert back to 3G. Are you sure you have entered in the correct WEP/WPA key that has been configured for your wireless router?

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well if you have a strong signal yet you cannot browse the internet via wifi, perhaps you are not authenticating with your wireless router. You can connect to a wifi router, but without authenticating with it's WEP or WPA security it will revert back to 3G. Are you sure you have entered in the correct WEP/WPA key that has been configured for your wireless router?

If you notice in my OP I said I don't have any problem connecting. The problem is staying connected. It looks like a battle going on between 3G and the WiFi for possession of my Droid. The WiFi symbol is there, then it disappears and 3G is back, then 3G will be replaced by the WiFi symbol.

While all of this is going on, I'm getting hung up connecting to the internet at all.

Did that explain it better to you? That's why I was hoping for an app that maybe locked the signal in. If one doesn't exist, it's not a big deal I can just go with 3G and be fine but I would prefer using my WiFi.

SGTiger

Reaction score
If you notice in my OP I said I don't have any problem connecting. The problem is staying connected. It looks like a battle going on between 3G and the WiFi for possession of my Droid. The WiFi symbol is there, then it disappears and 3G is back, then 3G will be replaced by the WiFi symbol.

While all of this is going on, I'm getting hung up connecting to the internet at all.

Did that explain it better to you? That's why I was hoping for an app that maybe locked the signal in. If one doesn't exist, it's not a big deal I can just go with 3G and be fine but I would prefer using my WiFi.

Sorry I misunderstood; just trying to help, LOL. In the original post, you said as soon as you click a link, it goes to 3G. This made me think you haven't been able to browse the internet period with WIFI. Again you can temporarily connect to a wireless router, but not authenticate thus allowing browsing.

Regardless, being able to browse the internet via WIFI and then losing it constantly is not normal. I use wifi with my Droid all the time and there is no "bouncing out and back" between wifi and 3G.

The only way you should lose your wifi signal once established is because of a weak signal or some kind of malfunction. I say this with confidence as I am a computer network engineer. I guess if I had stayed on topic then I should have only replied that there is no such app and there never will be.

Last edited:
OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sorry I misunderstood; just trying to help, LOL. In the original post, you said as soon as you click a link, it goes to 3G. This made me think you haven't been able to browse the internet period with WIFI. Again you can temporarily connect to a wireless router, but not authenticate thus allowing browsing.

Regardless, being able to browse the internet via WIFI and then losing it constantly is not normal. I use wifi with my Droid all the time and there is no "bouncing out and back" between wifi and 3G.

The only way you should lose your wifi signal once established is because of a weak signal or some kind of malfunction. I say this with confidence as I am a computer network engineer. I guess if I had stayed on topic then I should have only replied that there is no such app and there never will be.

I appreciate the help. Just an FYI this didn't happen with just my Droid, it happened with my Blackberry Storm 2 as well so I agree it's a signal problem. That's why I was hoping to find an app.

Funny how everything else works just fine though.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the issue I am having is the same or not. At times, I will connect to my wifi and everything will be fine for a few minutes. After that, it still says it is connected but it won't load any web pages. My laptop is connected to the same wifi and never has this problem. I haven't noticed the 3g icon popping up when this happens but I will definitely look for it next time.

snowman

Reaction score
turn on airplane mode
then go to settings and just turn on wi-fi this is the way I run at home on net
cell signal and 3g is disconnected and wi-fi is on

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
turn on airplane mode
then go to settings and just turn on wi-fi this is the way I run at home on net
cell signal and 3g is disconnected and wi-fi is on

Thanks, Snowman. Just gave that a try and it seems to work! My signal appears to be real strong on the wifi side, all bars are lit up now.

Now theoretically this doesn't make sense, but what the heck it works!:icon_ banana:

Mr Steve

Reaction score
Just remember, as stated above, you have NO cell signal in this mode. May or may not matter to you.

I had the same problem with my iPod Touch at my sister's house. I finally just set up a static IP on the Touch for her network. Trouble free since then.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just remember, as stated above, you have NO cell signal in this mode. May or may not matter to you.

I had the same problem with my iPod Touch at my sister's house. I finally just set up a static IP on the Touch for her network. Trouble free since then.

It does at certain times of the day, absolutely. Thanks for the reminder, I'll just have to be certain that if I'm expecting an important call not to put it on airplane mode. Otherwise, gee, isn't voice mail nice?:)

tcassio

Reaction score
Remember that your wireless router operates in the 2.4 ghz range. I've seen cordless phones interfere with the wifi signal. I pruchased a 5.8ghz cordless and all my issues went away.

rjenk

Reaction score
Remember that your wireless router operates in the 2.4 ghz range. I've seen cordless phones interfere with the wifi signal. I pruchased a 5.8ghz cordless and all my issues went away.

There are quite a few potential sources for interference in the 2.4Ghz range (cordless phones, microwave ovens - especially as they age, etc.). All can cause strange issues, often intermittent.

Keep in mind that if you also have a mix of .11b devices with .11g devices you will experience a slowdown when the .11b devices are transmitting/receiving (another reason to get all devices to at least .11g).

You might also want to us a wireless utility to sniff around to see if your neighbors have wireless routers using the same channel as you are using. If so, change to an unused channel or to a channel with a device that has the lowest signal strength.

AKValle26

Reaction score
Is your phone going into "sleep mode" during the times wifi is acting up? I think the default option is to suspend wifi during sleep, and it usually takes a few seconds to re-awaken it. I think there's an option under wifi settings