APP Gravity Screen OFF For Those Of Us That Aint Got No Time For A Power Button

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
xda-header.png

I like to turn the screen of my phone on and off, but when i do I have to press the power button! Aint nobody got time for that! If you happen to find pressing the power button of you phone to be incredibly annoying then developer "plexnor" feels your pain. He to says that he just got plain tired of hitting that darn power button every time he needed to look at his phone for a brief moment. He has created an app that utilizes "gravity" to turn your screen off and on. As you may have guessed the name of this awesome app is "Gravity Screen Off".

The app turns the phone off by monitoring the orientation of the device through the gravity sensor. When the sensors determine that your phone is pointed downward or covered as would be the case if in a pocket or bag the phone is screen is turned off. The screen will turn on if you lift up your phone. Main features of this app include Pocket sensor, Table sensor, Turn screen on by motion, Keep screen on by motion, turn screen on by proximity, turn screen off by proximity.

This looks to be a pretty useful app. You can grab it from the source link below.

Via XDA

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Only downside is that while watching a movie on my phone I hold it in landscape and apparently my thumb covered the sensor thus making the phone believe it was in a pocket or whatever and causing the screen to shut off in the middle of the movie. It's not a perfect science but it does work pretty well in most scenarios.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Locale/Tasker could do something similar with a scenario for phone facedown. But a few years ago when I played around it was a battery drain (always monitoring the sensor). Another method I tried was based on the accelerometer, but I couldn't make it sensitive enough such that when I picked up my phone the screen would turn on.

I might give this a shot. I like the idea of getting a text or email and picking my phone up to the screen automatically on, and then after 30 seconds or whatever it turns off.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'll test it. I too turn my phone on and off and its annoying with my current phone case. Love the case, hate the power button cover on it. Definitely worth a try.