App for creating a Public/Private phone?

droidxnewguy

Reaction score
I just bought the Droid X, first smartphone for me! Problem is that it's mostly mine, but family members will use it sometimes too to screw around on the internet.. I don't like the fact that when you add email accounts, they're always signed in! I know I can turn off notifications, but there should be some app out there that can allow me to activate a "public" setting and one that hides apps, email accounts, etc that I don't want anyone to see.. Am I alone on this?

zloca

Reaction score
The market place has some great apps where you can hide individual things and store them in folders and those can be hidden. But when it comes to the email, I don't remember seeing anything that will hide them.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just bought the Droid X, first smartphone for me! Problem is that it's mostly mine, but family members will use it sometimes too to screw around on the internet.. I don't like the fact that when you add email accounts, they're always signed in! I know I can turn off notifications, but there should be some app out there that can allow me to activate a "public" setting and one that hides apps, email accounts, etc that I don't want anyone to see.. Am I alone on this?

Try "Protector" or "App Protector." Both are available in the Market and enable you to password protect individual applications and files. You can, for example, limit access to any email application you use (e.g. K-9, gmail, email) with a chosen password. Likewise, you could limit access to a particular browser (e.g. Dolphin, Opera, xScope) with a password while leaving another browser unprotected.

There are other apps that limit access to particular files and folders if that concerns you, but if you want to limit access to a particular application, the App Protector and Protector apps are the best I've found.

P.S. Won't make any judgment on why you would want to keep your email private. There are lots of reasons other than those that Tiger may have had. In fact, for corporate users, the capability to control access to email on a phone can be a critical security issue.

OP
D

droidxnewguy

Reaction score
Yes, that's one reason, my Google Apps business email is on the phone and I would not want anyone getting into that! Thanks for the recommendations, I will check them out.