AOKP ROM--how to change other system colors

rrobinson1216

Reaction score
Ok, so first post here, so I'm a newbie...but I didn't see a section on AOKP, which I thought was weird, so I'm posting in the general ROM's forum. Anyway, I'm trying to do a little tweaking of my own. I love the ROM, and want to modify some of the colors. I've attached two images that may get to the point quickly. As you can see, I'm a fan of the dark blue, like I have on the clock and battery bar up top, and the nav buttons down at the bottom. My issue is that I am wanting to change some system colors, like the bar under General UI, the button presses on keyboard taps, and menu button presses, like the one where I'm hitting the home nav button. Anyone know how easy/difficult it would be to change this stuff to a dark blue instead of the cyan/aqua it currently is? I'd greatly appreciate the help. :hail:View attachment 49172View attachment 49173

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
OP
R

rrobinson1216

Reaction score
So I'm guessing this method requires me to have at least some know-how of photoshop, or something of the sort, correct? I was under the impression that doing the system images might require an xml edit, and changing the color to the hex value that I want, then a recompile (Of course, that's more advanced, but as far as I know, that doesn't require any knowledge of PS). Of course, both of these might require Windows...

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
So I'm guessing this method requires me to have at least some know-how of photoshop, or something of the sort, correct? I was under the impression that doing the system images might require an xml edit, and changing the color to the hex value that I want, then a recompile (Of course, that's more advanced, but as far as I know, that doesn't require any knowledge of PS). Of course, both of these might require Windows...

Well changing the color of things that are images, requires manipulation of the image. Things that aren't controlled by actual images, like a lot of the texts, would require the .xml edits. Of course there are some exceptions to the rule. I believe everything you want to theme, well that you mentioned, would be covered by images. A couple may be .9.png files, which may require a different methodology beyond a simple edit of image.

You don't need to have Windows or Photoshop to edit these files. 7zip has cross platform options available on their site. Gimp is free and cross platform, and is a fairly powerful image editing program. Of course there are many alternatives to both of those as well. Decompiling should be doable on other OSes as well, if that is necessary.

You don't need a degree in image editing in order to make some of the edits you are looking to get into. I have zero artistic ability and have managed make some other somewhat basic edits to an image. There are plenty of guides on the basics of editing an image online. Of course YMMV.