Anyway to not have all apps on homescreen?

thevegasbomb

Reaction score
What about maybe a optional custom made miui app drawer...one that can be organized. And that can be flashed by whoever would want it...sounds good to me.
MIUI is by far the best rom to run with :)
keep up the hard work and optional app drawer dosnt sound bad ;)

Vikam

Reaction score
I dont like the app drawer anyway, the MIUI Rom offered a better solution, because most other roms you can also create a folder and stick your apps into folders, but you will still have all of them in an app drawer....which seems like a waste anyway.

I have tried multiple Rom's out there and there are many really great Rom's out there, but the fact that you can just drag a app straight from the phone to the trash bin and it will uninstall and the fact that this Rom does not have the annoying app drawer is definatly a big plus for me.

OP
S

SirVilhelm

Reaction score
I consider the app drawer my junk drawer. I keep a few items on the desktop that I like to use often; mail, maps, handcent, a game or two. The rest of my drawer are apps I use maybe once a month.

I get that there are those who like to use folders for organizing but you spend more time in upkeep. For ****s and giggles I created a folder called drawer and dumped everything in there (time consuming) and then realized that you can't have an app in two locations at once; IE, in my drawer folder and on the desktop. While this might seem trivial to some this is huge for me. I don't want to spend the time to constantly be organizing different folders. When I install a new app it just throws it on the desktop, again lame. To some this iPhone-esque approach works for them, for me it doesn't.

And this rom's launcher approach is far from what sets it apart. To say that this is what differentiates it from the rest of the roms is insulting to the dev team to say the least. This rom is beautiful to look at. It's menu system and features are great. In fact, the only thing I do not like about it, and why I went back to CM is because of the drawer.

I agree with thevegasbomb that an option to have a drawer would be perfect and would appease everyone. That way if you want to spend your time organizing then have at it. If you just want a junk drawer and still enjoy this rom you can as well. Perfect.

OP
S

SirVilhelm

Reaction score
I dont like the app drawer anyway, the MIUI Rom offered a better solution, because most other roms you can also create a folder and stick your apps into folders, but you will still have all of them in an app drawer....which seems like a waste anyway.

I have tried multiple Rom's out there and there are many really great Rom's out there, but the fact that you can just drag a app straight from the phone to the trash bin and it will uninstall and the fact that this Rom does not have the annoying app drawer is definatly a big plus for me.

Almost all roms now allow you to uninstall an app from the homescreen by dragging it to a trash bin, this isn't new. I don't understand why you are annoyed by the app drawer. With ADW you can actually replace the app drawer button with anything you want therefore eliminating the drawer altogether. This is actually a better solution because you can customize it exactly how you want. You want an app drawer you have it, you don't want an app drawer you replace it with say, maps, or phone or whatever app you have installed. Perfect.

OP
S

SirVilhelm

Reaction score
no app drawer needed. There are a lot of ROMs with drawers, try them if you miss it so much. You can organize unlimited pages for your different categories of apps. A lot better than a drawer if you'd ask me.

You can organize your app drawer too. Just get a home replacement thats allows you to.

I stopped using the MIUI launcher when ADW-ex came out. Loved the MIUI launcher at times, and at times hated it. I have no problems with ADW-ex. LP got old, so did the MIUI launcher in my opinion.

Hmmm, what does -ex give you that the norm ADW doesn't?

Vikam

Reaction score
I consider the app drawer my junk drawer. I keep a few items on the desktop that I like to use often; mail, maps, handcent, a game or two. The rest of my drawer are apps I use maybe once a month.

I get that there are those who like to use folders for organizing but you spend more time in upkeep. For ****s and giggles I created a folder called drawer and dumped everything in there (time consuming) and then realized that you can't have an app in two locations at once; IE, in my drawer folder and on the desktop. While this might seem trivial to some this is huge for me. I don't want to spend the time to constantly be organizing different folders. When I install a new app it just throws it on the desktop, again lame. To some this iPhone-esque approach works for them, for me it doesn't.

And this rom's launcher approach is far from what sets it apart. To say that this is what differentiates it from the rest of the roms is insulting to the dev team to say the least. This rom is beautiful to look at. It's menu system and features are great. In fact, the only thing I do not like about it, and why I went back to CM is because of the drawer.

I agree with thevegasbomb that an option to have a drawer would be perfect and would appease everyone. That way if you want to spend your time organizing then have at it. If you just want a junk drawer and still enjoy this rom you can as well. Perfect.

The main point here SirVilhelm is not really what MIUI can do or cannot do, what it boils down to and what upsets me is people coming on here and whining about how this Rom doesnt have an app drawer.....Well guess what "Then dont use the Rom" or use a different rom that has the app drawer, there will always be something that is not perfect with any roms....and i for one knows that the Dev's here are working very hard on this Rom......and no one on here said that the only difference from this Rom is the app drawer, but most of the roms out there have an app drawer.....so why does some need to complain about this one not having one?

OP
S

SirVilhelm

Reaction score
^ I see your point but I don't think anyone, including me, was whining or complaining about this rom. Infact my OP was just a question if having an app drawer is possible. This thread morphed into a tug-a-war of whether or not app drawers are better which I'll agree is unproductive.

Anyway, I have solved my own issue by not using the default launcher. ADW will have to suffice which isn't really a sacrifice anyway. :icon_ banana:

Vikam

Reaction score
^ I see your point but I don't think anyone, including me, was whining or complaining about this rom. Infact my OP was just a question if having an app drawer is possible. This thread morphed into a tug-a-war of whether or not app drawers are better which I'll agree is unproductive.

Anyway, I have solved my own issue by not using the default launcher. ADW will have to suffice which isn't really a sacrifice anyway. :icon_ banana:

I am glad you solved your problem, and its not the first time that i have seen the question which is why i responded to your question the way i was, everyone have their right to an opinion and in your case adding a custom launcher takes care of the problem.........perfect...

toastedoats

Reaction score
I am curious to why people think that making an "all apps" folder and putting it in the dockbar is any different than having an app drawer?

ramos

Reaction score
the only thing i dont like about this rom is that the folders dont close themselves. i still love this rom and works great to me.