Anyone used ClockWorkMod (or similar) on Droid 2?

dast

Reaction score
So I'm a proud owner of a new D2. Loaded it up with apps, rooted, and running (mostly) nice thanks to everything I've learned lurking around here.

I'm not interested currently in trying anything crazy like custom OS builds (whenever they become available on the D2), but I would really like to make a full nandroid backup of the current state of my phone.

Has anyone had any practical experience with using ClockWorkMod (or anything similar) on the D2? Not just (vague) reports of success by the awesome uber-hackers that make our lives so much fun. Actual practical experience?

Are we at a point where we have a stable replacement for the stock recovery on D2? I'm really paranoid about not being able to do a full backup and restore.

Regards

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I'm a proud owner of a new D2. Loaded it up with apps, rooted, and running (mostly) nice thanks to everything I've learned lurking around here.

I'm not interested currently in trying anything crazy like custom OS builds (whenever they become available on the D2), but I would really like to make a full nandroid backup of the current state of my phone.

Has anyone had any practical experience with using ClockWorkMod (or anything similar) on the D2? Not just (vague) reports of success by the awesome uber-hackers that make our lives so much fun. Actual practical experience?

Are we at a point where we have a stable replacement for the stock recovery on D2? I'm really paranoid about not being able to do a full backup and restore.

Regards

Which is another reason why I won't root. I haven't seen anything about Clockwork or SPRecovery and I doubt you will for some time due to the bootloader lock down.

OP
D

dast

Reaction score
oh well

Regards

Which is another reason why I won't root. I haven't seen anything about Clockwork or SPRecovery and I doubt you will for some time due to the bootloader lock down.

Just as I thought. Foiled for now by the locked down bootloader. Someone will break it eventually.

Understandable though since Android is pushing into the corporate enterprise market. These kind of features are important. No self respecting manufacturer wants to be caught with their pants down hacked on stage at Black Hat.

hyatari

Reaction score
Droid 2 recovery bootstrap in the market allows for clockwork recovery to be installed and create backups.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
D

dast

Reaction score
Interesting. Worth a shot I guess.

Masx

Reaction score
So does this allow a full backup of your stock and able to allow you to restore back to normal if you have issues removing some of the bloat?

What I mean is I read that some of the stock apps needs to be there when you do a system update otherwise it fails. So would I be able to restore back to whatever I had earlier and do an update?

Reaction score
I've been running clockworkmod for like a week now. I think it came out last weekend. I've made two nandroid backups and it works great, just like it did on my D1.

Only one rom is out and it just came out tonight, but its still in beta. Im waiting for something without major bugs.

Travman

Reaction score
My Droid2 Rocks

I received my new toy a couple of days ago and wasted no time diving into it.

First of all do the OTA update that is available 2.2.20 brfore rooting or you will have to root again after the update. i rooted the it via these instructions How to root the Droid 2 - xda-developers

Then i decided that i wanted to get rid of all the crapware that i would never use by following these instructions Removing the Bloat took me a while to find the best way to do it, it was very easy using SU File Manager and Terminal available in the market. This is the list i went from when renaming preinstalled software Removing the Bloat

That was all i was comfortable with doing until i could make a recovery image of the phone. after doing some research i came across the Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrapper in some forum, i found it in the market and purchased and installed it, worked like a charm. Now that i had a back up it was time to see what all i could do.

i made a couple changes in the build.prop file that i found here [UPDATED][MOD] LOTS of Build.prop edits! | Droid X Root the only ones that i changed were the scrolling speed, wifi interval, and dalvik vm heap (attached are the original and the tweaked files, stock original one ends in .bak - make sure you remove the .txt had to add that to upload) what i did was copy the original one to the sd card and renamed it build.prop.bak just in case something went wrong. after i killed all the apps and changed the build.prop file i read that you should clear out the dalvik-cache, it inventories all the apps installed on the phone... if you install and remove alot the program cache stays there. you can clear from clockwork, and when you restart the phone it will rebuild. helps to clear out all the bloatware app cache in there.

From the market i installed a couple of apps that i loved on my original Droid, SetCPU and CacheMate. Although you cant overclock it yet, you can keep it from scaling down the processor speed. i ran the cachemate and cleared everything up and then ran a benchmark with Quadrant. the score right out of th box was low 1300, and after all the tweaks it was down to 1225. did some research and found that some people say dont touch it and other say clean it daily. i decided that i am pretty much going to leave it alone unless i remove alot of software or on the internet alot. after letting the phone sit for a while i did another benchmark and i was stoked at what i saw..... 1432.

i am very impressed by how responsive and fast my phone is now, i hope my experiences help some of yall out. i dont have alot installed on the phone, but here are the apps i currently have installed

AdFree (removes ads from apps in the market)
CacheMate Pro
Droid2 Bootstrapper
Rock Player (plays avi, mp4, wma no more coverting videos. ad based but AdFree removes them)
SetCpu
SU File Manager

Attachments

• build.prop.bak.txt
    7.5 KB · Views: 377
  • build.prop.txt
    7.5 KB · Views: 357
OP
D

dast

Reaction score
removing apps breaks backups?

So does this allow a full backup of your stock and able to allow you to restore back to normal if you have issues removing some of the bloat?

What I mean is I read that some of the stock apps needs to be there when you do a system update otherwise it fails. So would I be able to restore back to whatever I had earlier and do an update?

Oh snap. I've read that removing stock apps is dangerous, but nothing about it causing backups to fail. All the more reason to get this stuff broken and back up before deleting bloat.

OP
D

dast

Reaction score
That was all i was comfortable with doing until i could make a recovery image of the phone. after doing some research i came across the Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrapper in some forum, i found it in the market and purchased and installed it, worked like a charm. Now that i had a back up it was time to see what all i could do.

Wow, is it really that easy? Just root and buy the recovery bootstrapper then you can do a full backup? I was looking at the bootstrapper last night but held off because i'm still not sure I want to sign up for google checkout for the$ 2 price...

Have you tried doing a recovery from one of youe backups? Does it work? I want to get to a apoint where I can fully restore my d2 after either resetting it to factory state or bricking it.

Travman

Reaction score
here is what all i did, after i found the unlocker, i booted into recovery mode and made a full backup. rebooted the phone and went into the settings page, then to privacy and performed a factory reset. after the factory reset, everything went back to like i just turned it on for first time..... except super user permissions stayed. i reinstalled the bootstrap loader, booted into recovery and made a backup immediately after the factory reset. i did a couple different tests, with the reset phone i did a advanced recovery of the data and the cache, and that put it back to the way it wad before the reset all installed apps and tweaks were there. then i did pretty much the opposite, did another recovery but this time restored the system only from the reset back up the system.... it pretty much put it back to the factory reset BUT some old app files and caches were lingering. i have not seen any issue at all so far. you can download the apk version of the file from here
http://koush.tandtgaming.com//motorola/droid2/Droid2Bootstrap.apk

OP
D

dast

Reaction score
here is what all i did, after i found the unlocker, i booted into recovery mode and made a full backup. rebooted the phone and went into the settings page, then to privacy and performed a factory reset. after the factory reset, everything went back to like i just turned it on for first time..... except super user permissions stayed. i reinstalled the bootstrap loader, booted into recovery and made a backup immediately after the factory reset. i did a couple different tests, with the reset phone i did a advanced recovery of the data and the cache, and that put it back to the way it wad before the reset all installed apps and tweaks were there. then i did pretty much the opposite, did another recovery but this time restored the system only from the reset back up the system.... it pretty much put it back to the factory reset BUT some old app files and caches were lingering. i have not seen any issue at all so far. you can download the apk version of the file from here
http://koush.tandtgaming.com//motorola/droid2/Droid2Bootstrap.apk

Wow! Fantastic information. Thanks!

OP
D

dast

Reaction score
Downloaded the bootstrapper, installed it and it seemed to work fine. Ran a simple nandroid backup successfully!

Thanks for the info everyone!

Travman

Reaction score
Dont rename backups

i learned something very important last night, do not remae the backups, if you do when you try to restore from that backup it will give you a md5 checksum error. when i got that i freaked the hell out, it took me about 4 hours of searching to find out how to fix this. my pain is your gain, this is for clockwork recovery not sure if works for others.

i dont know the specifics of how the md5 checksum works, but when it tried to verify it wont because the backup folder name does not match what it in the md5. it is actually a really easy fix, take the sd card out of phone and install somehow access it by a computer. find the renamed folder, right click and go to properties. find the date created, that is what you have to rename the folder back to for the recovery to work.

here the format year-month-date-hour-minute-second
ie 2010-09-05-13-28-09

hope this keeps yall from the stress and headaches i went through last night