Anyone go from the Droid 4 to the S4?

Erikbal

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a D4 and really like the phone and have been very happy with it the last year or so. I really like the keyboard and have thought about waiting a while to upgrade to see if they are going to come out with a Droid 5. How's the jump from the D4 to the S4? I'm assuming big? I really love my phone but guess maybe I am getting a little bored with it and something new would be a pleasant change. I know going from the D3 to the 4 was huge, mostly because of 4g though. Thanks guys!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

reybie

Reaction score
I made the jump! The screen size and the phone weight/bulk are two major things you'd notice immediately without even using the phone. I still miss the keyboard when typing letters or long emails though. I feel much more in control sort of with a physical keyboard. Speed and screen clarity is just amazing. Hmm, maybe this is a good time to get a bluetooth keyboard.

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
So speed is a huge difference eh? I figured it would be, isn't the S4 1.9ghz quad core? You gotta wonder when they'll just get so fast they can't be any faster you know! What was your main reason for upgrading?

reybie

Reaction score
Faster words with friends! Seriously, after a year of using the D4, it felt like it couldn't catch up with the apps that were being constantly updated and tested on faster phones. I also found myself using swype more often than the physical keyboard so I figured it was time to give that up and suck it. If I needed to type a novel, I will get on the laptop.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Don't get caught up on the keyboard, it's the wave of the past! I found that when I had the D1 that I thought I needed it, but rarely used it because it took time to slide it out, change phone orientation, wait for the phone to respond, type, slide it back, change orientation, wait for phone to respond. For the little bit I used the keyboard it was way more convenient to use the soft keyboard.

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
I actually do use my keyboard a lot though, I am right meow! I was looking at the phones Verizon offers and they still offer the D4 so it doesn't seem like it's THAT outdated. Although it's probably because it's the only phone left with a keyboard.

reybie

Reaction score
Some still do use it. I sold my year-old D4 for $200 to offset the cost of my S4. It really helps a lot if you work on remote desktops or similar.