Anyone else having issues with their Wireless Charger?

spyder560

Reaction score
So I got my Note 5 with the promotional quick wireless charger. It charges fine for the first 5 mins then the blue light on the pad starts blinking and the phone indicates that the wireless connection has paused. Anyone else having issues with theirs?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I too woke up in the middle of the night the first night to the charger flashing and the phone at 82%. Had to power cycle the charger to get it to stop flashing. Was going to check around the Google machine more today to see if others have the problem.

I did a quick search the other night and it appears others are having the issue, mostly Galaxy S6 people from what I am seeing. I am also not getting "fast" wireless charging from it, going to see what I am missing about that as well.

Edit: Well that was an easy enough answer on the fast wireless charging. The charging pad Bestbuy was giving away was just the regular one. Didn't realize they made another pad that does the fast charging. Marketing geniuses.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My g watch does this crap too..I know this isn't really the same..but I've yet to find a clue other than power cycling..a lot..and its annoying..I swapped the watch 3 times..

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
From what I have read so far, it is just a problem with the Samsung charger. It does not keep the phone topped off, it will charge to 100% and then turn off. Letting the phone die back down to whatever it is when you wake up.

It seems it is not consistent though, so that makes it harder to troubleshoot. I might go back to my Chloe wireless charger for now for use overnight. Still kind of disappointed they didn't bundle the fast wireless charger with it. Even though this one was free, I would have liked to pay the difference and get the better one.

If I end up keeping this phone, I will probably end up getting the OEM Samsung fast one from their site when it comes back in stock.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Update: Been trying to charge this thing while at work today using my old Nexus wireless charger. I lay it down, it beeps and says it is wireless charging, "X minutes until full". Been sitting there for over an hour, nothing, actually down 3% from when I put it on.

Tried this cycle twice now with the same result. Wireless charging is not working for me, with the Nexus charger at least, I will try the Samsung one again when I get home. Not sure if it is a problem with the phone or the charger. Charger works fine for my Moto 360 though.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Haven't used the Samsung wireless charger enough to know if it has issues with my N5 but it worked fine yesterday charging my N3. But when I was at work I used the same charger I always used for my N3 to charge my N5. Absolutely no go on that. After letting it charge for over an hour, it actually drained the battery on my N5 by about 7%. It appears that maybe the new Samsung's are very picky about what charges their phone.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Haven't used the Samsung wireless charger enough to know if it has issues with my N5 but it worked fine yesterday charging my N3. But when I was at work I used the same charger I always used for my N3 to charge my N5. Absolutely no go on that. After letting it charge for over an hour, it actually drained the battery on my N5 by about 7%. It appears that maybe the new Samsung's are very picky about what charges their phone.

That would be terribly unfortunate. They are supposed to be in line with the Qi and the PMA standard, according to literature, meaning any charger "should" work. I will test the Samsung one when I get home tonight, right now it is fast charging using the Moto brick from my Nexus 6, so at least that is working.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well, came home and put it on the Samsung charger, started actually charging right away. I tried it on another Nexus wireless charger, same thing, got the beep and the phone said it was charging, but it was not.

I did noticed that when the phone was charging on the Samsung charger, the red LED was on, when on the Nexus one there was no LED. Would lead me to believe this phone does not like third party chargers.

Going to grab the Choe wireless charger out of the closet and see if that works. It is a 3 coil one, maybe it does not like the single coil from the Nexus chargers.

Edit: Choe charger is working. Slight movement of the phone stops the charging fairly quickly though.

Last edited:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I have an after market wireless charger, it's not a disc but a stand. The phone can be placed vertical or horizontal and it's not very picky about placement. I used the fast charger that came with my phone and it works very well.

It's made by Spigen and fairly cheap at Amazon.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
33e6d915c5cc9ae1a9c07125ef07334d.jpg

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Spigen is good stuff, plus that one is a 3 coil unit, so yeah placement should be a breeze. Might order one of those for my work.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I need to look into that charger....I got the free charger with my Edge+ from Best Buy and it is very hit or miss. It will charge if it finds that special spot! I have exchanged it once already.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
What are the model numbers of your Samsung chargers? The initial batch that were released are not for the Note 5. People are saying that the black ones don't work, but the white ones do. Sammy is supposed to be releasing the new charger soon.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I can answer that,
mod: EP-TA20JWE

OUTPUT 9V---1.67A
5V---2.0A

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
ad90f4e00b35ce1f649ee15ea772d17d.jpg
923ceeaba0ab03d805d0d055a6fe5e41.jpg