Any Suggestions for Encryption?

WishIKnew

Reaction score
The more I research smartphone security, the more I feel I need some kind of hardware and/or software encryption on my Droid X that's coming Monday.

Have you had any good or bad experiences with encryption? Anything to watch out for?

Can you recommend any programs or resources to check out?

Thanks!

Reaction score
What kind of encryption are you referring to? Do you want just security that keeps people from accessing your phone? The Droid X has a Security Lock feature that is similar to the Ipod/Iphone's 4 number security lock. You just pick your 4 digit lock code and everytime you unlock the phone it comes up.

Or did you want something to lock every application on your phone? I liked using "App Lock" on my original Droid it seemed to work okay, although sometimes it would stop working and I'd have to open it up again and then it would work okay. So really just not what sort of security you were looking for?

OP
W

WishIKnew

Reaction score
I'd like to be able to lock down gmail so no one who broke the phone password could get to emails or contacts.

What kind of encryption are you referring to? Do you want just security that keeps people from accessing your phone? The Droid X has a Security Lock feature that is similar to the Ipod/Iphone's 4 number security lock. You just pick your 4 digit lock code and everytime you unlock the phone it comes up.

Or did you want something to lock every application on your phone? I liked using "App Lock" on my original Droid it seemed to work okay, although sometimes it would stop working and I'd have to open it up again and then it would work okay. So really just not what sort of security you were looking for?

bomber889

Reaction score
There's an app where you can set up to where individual apps need passwords to get into.

OP
W

WishIKnew

Reaction score
It sounds like that's what I need. I'll search the market and look at App Lock (thanks!). I'm hoping this configuration might work for data security:
First Defense: Phone lock.
2nd Defense: Locks on each sensitve app.
3rd Defense: Remote wipe.

I figure steps 1 & 2 might buy me a couple of hours to realize I lost my phone and then to wipe it. Does that sound reasonable?

Last edited: