Any good streaming media apps? Every one I've downloaded sucks

Legalgear

Reaction score
If "surfthechannel" can stream thousands of shows why is it the commercial products like tv.com on the droid has a pathetic line up of "clips" and a few full length shows that seemingly require wifi? WTF?

I do miss my Windows phone with it's ability to run flash and also run Sling client...

coolkidd

Reaction score
If "surfthechannel" can stream thousands of shows why is it the commercial products like tv.com on the droid has a pathetic line up of "clips" and a few full length shows that seemingly require wifi? WTF?

I do miss my Windows phone with it's ability to run flash and also run Sling client...

I'm on the same boat with you. I have emailed Slingmedia and I do not think they will support Android yet....

I am just waiting for the flash on Droid so that I can just go to sling.com and watch it from there....

coondogg97

Reaction score
I agree, the Orb apps I have tried stunk and there doesn't seem to be a better alternative. I use Simplify Media on my iPod and it works great for audio, I e-mailed them, but it doesnt look like they plan on coming over to Android. I cant wait till flash is supported at least.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I agree, the Orb apps I have tried stunk and there doesn't seem to be a better alternative. I use Simplify Media on my iPod and it works great for audio, I e-mailed them, but it doesnt look like they plan on coming over to Android. I cant wait till flash is supported at least.

You can access Orb from the phones browser. You just need the nswplayer installed and set up as your default media player.

Set Orb on your PC to stream in 3gp format .sdp and set the same settings on the phones browser.

You then will have access to live streaming TV and recorded TV if your PC is equipped with a capture card. I was also able to access my documents pics and audio files.

kcs32787

Reaction score
i installed nswplayer and made it default, however the camera video player continues to attempt to load the orb stream. any ideas?

mad3963

Reaction score
Are there any that you can add your own urls to? One that will play .wax (Windows Media Audio Redirector) files? I have a particular online radio station stream that I want to listen to, and that is the file type they stream with.

coondogg97

Reaction score

You can access Orb from the phones browser. You just need the nswplayer installed and set up as your default media player.

Set Orb on your PC to stream in 3gp format .sdp and set the same settings on the phones browser.

You then will have access to live streaming TV and recorded TV if your PC is equipped with a capture card. I was also able to access my documents pics and audio files.

Brucin - Thanks for the tips, I did that and although it worked, it was still a process getting to the directory to view the video. I am running a movie server at home and in order to connect to the server through Orb is a pain. But I am happy to see it does work!

For the others who are suggesting Pandora, it is a great app but does nothing to help stream your media remotely.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure

Brucin - Thanks for the tips, I did that and although it worked, it was still a process getting to the directory to view the video. I am running a movie server at home and in order to connect to the server through Orb is a pain. But I am happy to see it does work!

For the others who are suggesting Pandora, it is a great app but does nothing to help stream your media remotely.

You're very welcome. Sorry it doesn't work well with your setup. I don't use a movie server just my PC.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jetflicks is great for streaming TV shows, but they're going to start a subscription service soon, which is dicey and probably not worth upwards of $9 per month...

OP
L

Legalgear

Reaction score
I meant more in the way of video, not audio. There is nothing for video on the Android. It really sucks...

coondogg97

Reaction score

I guess Google thought Simplify Media was a good company too......they purchased them.

Google Announces Purchase Of Simplify Media | WebProNews

Hopefully we will see a great streaming audio app on the Android platform soon!