I miss my window's phone - critical things DROID is missing

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Legalgear, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Legalgear

Legalgear New Member

I really miss my windows phone sometimes and I would have probably bought one of the new HTC's if it was available. Don't get me wrong I love the droid, but it's lacking some very critical features.

1) Tethering - this is STOCK on all windows phones and stupid PDANET wants to charge me $30 to do it. Terrible that it wasn't included.

2) Slingbox - this just sucks to not be able to use my phone as a sling client but not as bad as...

3) Flash - no ability to play flash is a total bummer since I can't do either the sling nor flash sites

4) GOOD Video Options - video is POSSIBLE on the droid so all of you people saying "hold on it's coming" it should BE HERE. We have PATHETIC youtube, which has shows split into five small videos (come on guys 2010 here). So, it is clearly POSSIBLE to stream video. The other aps are just god awful! One was great at streaming russian news to me, awesome. The others have the same content for at least a month at a time and very little of it. Shotime has boxing CLIPS, not full fights and I've not seen much better on any of the network channels. Yeah, the neatness of video on your phone is like SOOO 2005, so can you NOW focus on your content before you release a lame ap.

Oh, thanks for listening.
  2. thelion

thelion New Member

Legalgear, you do get that the Droid is 2 months old - right? How long has it taken to get WinMo even remotely right? iPhone?

No phone is perfect right off the bat. It just doesn't happen. Never has, never will. We will always want more. Such is the life of an early adopter. Tethering is coming. Flash is coming. More video will come.

If you aren't willing to wait go back to WinMo and keep waiting on those updates...
  3. Legalgear

Legalgear New Member

Android is way older than that...
  4. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Im liking my wireless tethering.
  5. thelion

thelion New Member

Android is but the Droid is not. You have to look at individual phones within Android. They are all aimed at different audiences.

Hell, if you want to look at operating systems take a look at how old Windows is. And now look at how long it took them to get an operational OS for their phones that is even remotely capable of doing what it should do.

Again, not every phone will have every feature. Frankly, I don't need more video options and Flash is not that important to me. This is true for many Droid users. If you don't like it, why don't you develop an app to get some of the things you would like? And if you don't want to develop an app, why don't you hush up and wait for someone else to do it - or go back to WinMo?
  6. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

His arguments are also faulted...he complains about videos...yet a lot of phones with Windows Mobile, depending on the manufacturer, it is hit or miss. The Omnia 2 has many more video playback options compared to an Imagio for example. Besides the HTC HD2, you will not find any Windows Mobile device with a comparable internet experience. We have seen flash is just around the corner but if you want to go to a platform this is limited with a much slower browsing experience, have fun. Like I said...we don't need infidels in our army.
  7. Boris Badenov

Boris Badenov New Member

Whatever...
    :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:
  8. carbine

carbine New Member

All of this about the age of the phone is useless to me. Don't get me wrong, I love my Droid and it has become part of my life, but these days you can't introduce a product and have it catch up... You need to see what others have done, make it better, then put it out on the market.

I do believe that the Droid has done that, but not in a popular feature way. The Android platform was created to be a custom experience for each user. Sure, some features I'd love to see were left out, but that inspires developers to create their own applications with few restrictions, giving us more than one option or solution to what we want on our phones.
  9. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

This was pretty funny. An ailing OS being trumped as superior to Android ;)

Say, how are those 65k colors and stylus working out for ya :p
  10. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Oh, No... Thank you for listening ;)
  11. J-Buck

J-Buck New Member

12. MonkeyTime

MonkeyTime New Member

Couldn't agree with you more Carbine. In today's age, to enter the sales field with some basics missing is not preferred. But let's look at his gripes......

1. Tethering, it's on it's way, but not legally free from my understanding. A somewhat legit point.
    2. Slingbox, not available yet, not sure if it's planned. My thoughts, tough luck. This isn't a Android, Motorolla or VZ problem, talk to slingbox. However, if it became available, depending on price, I would be a customer.
    3. Flash, just how many phones have this capability right NOW in the US? According to Adobe's website, 14 in the US. NONE of them smart phones.
    4. Good video? What were you watching on your WinMo that you can't now?

Now that the Android platform is really taking off with numbers, I have the feeling many of your concerns will be a thing of the past.

Numbers=$=Advances

Viva La Droid!
  13. brendanstl

brendanstl New Member

Go buy another windows phone then and get rid of the Droid. When they get everything added to the Droid and you are using your windows phone once again you will wish you would have stayed with the Droid.
  14. Sleeve

Sleeve New Member

If somebody tried to force me to go back to WinMo, I'd beat the snot out of them.
  15. qoncept

qoncept New Member

"It's new" is such a BS excuse for missing features. Sure, it's true, but no one cares WHY a feature isn't included. If they did, you could excuse all of the features WinMo is missing because no one at Microsoft has a clue what people want.

Quit making excuses and say "yeah, I wish it had that too." That's how you convince the devs to do it.
  16. adrynalyne

Does anyone besides me think its funny that 2/3 of what the OP is whining about is out of Google's hands?

Go cry to Adobe, or the Sling Player devs. You wil get further.
  17. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

As soon as I saw "no flash" as a complaint I immediately looked under the bridge for the rest of them (that's where they live). No device has full flash. And when it is available, Android will be first. Do some research before blasting a device OP.
  18. natty_lite

natty_lite New Member

LOL at that.

IIRC, there is no free tethering option for Windows. PDANet is not free software. Internet sharing, at least from what I remember could not be achieved without hacking the phone - which puts that aspect on equal footing with the Droid. If gaining those of those characteristics of Windows Mobile is worth losing everything you're gaining using the Droid then you should return your phone immediately and get an Imagio,Omnia II, or TP2.
  19. swickdick

swickdick New Member

Flash player Is coming and we can wifi tether, works for me and mores to come
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  20. adrynalyne

Quite a few phone manufacturers/carriers have the tetheing option on Winmo phones removed, for obvious reasons.

By default from MS, however, Winmo 6.1 and 6.5 have tethering.
Search tags for this page
,games like monkey bash android market,games like monkey bas

i miss my windows phone