Another X FON Variant Passes through FCC: The Motorola XT1055

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-motorola-x-phone.jpg

Another Motorola X FON variant just passed through the FCC. This one is the Motorola XT1055 and is on its way to US Cellular customers. Its specs are the same mediocre fair we have been seeing for the rumored Moto X phone for quite some time. It has the usual Snapdragon S4 Pro 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB memory, a 10MP camera, Android 4.2.2, & 720p display. These aren't bad specs by any stretch of the imagination, but they certainly aren't a "Hero Device" as the Moto CEO Dennis Woodside said recently when he officially outed the Moto X Phone.

It's entirely possible that the advancements to this device are in the software department, and/or maybe some additional hardware functionality will be baked in that we have never seen before. If this is true, then maybe the primary internal hardware doesn't need to be at "superphone" levels to perform these functions. Nokia's current Windows Phone Lumia 925/928 series is a prime example of a device which functions smoothly and efficiently despite having mid-range hardware specs. Perhaps that is the case with this next Motorola device.

One other theory is that the X FON naming conventions attributed to these devices passing through the FCC is simply a marketing/model naming trick designed to fake us out, and the final Moto X is a completely different device. Of course, that is hard to believe because it doesn't make much strategic sense. It's also possible that the current X FON products were originally the Motorola X Phone, but Moto decided to use that name on a different device later on down the pipe. If so, then the model number of these devices may say X FON, but it could have a different final retail name. This would leave them open to call something else with bigger specs their Moto X.

Of course, these last two ideas are highly speculative. Occam's Razor implies that we should simply accept the simplest evidence before us because it is most likely the truth. That would mean the Moto X could be a disappointment in the hardware department (relatively speaking).

Source: AndroidAuthority

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The farther and farther the release date is, the less and less current the hardware becomes.

Except the "top-end" specs are pretty much useless overkill. Between this phone and something like a 2ghz quad-core with 4gigs of ram and 128gigs storage (min specs, IMO, for something capable of dual-booting Win or Linux and running a desktop), just a waste of money. And 720p is more than fine for a smartphone display.

I have my doubts there would be a noticeable difference to the user between this phone and "the latest". So throw in some cool software features and price aggressively and you have a big winner.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love your positive attitude about this one Kodiak! That's an unusual and rare thing indeed! :p

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Except the "top-end" specs are pretty much useless overkill. Between this phone and something like a 2ghz quad-core with 4gigs of ram and 128gigs storage (min specs, IMO, for something capable of dual-booting Win or Linux and running a desktop), just a waste of money. And 720p is more than fine for a smartphone display.

I have my doubts there would be a noticeable difference to the user between this phone and "the latest". So throw in some cool software features and price aggressively and you have a big winner.

Sorry bro but I must admit I will be passing that doggy in the window....waggly tail and all.

Doggy-in-the-windo_1673234a.jpg

We talking about a phone that we are going o have for at least 2 years and you know will be locked down especially if it is on vzw's network. But that is my opinion and choice.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

Dont' get me wrong, I agree with you. I'm very happy with my S3 and still recommend it to people I know as a great phone that doesn't have a big price tag anymore. But the X seems to be still getting hype that I feel it shouldn't be.

Reaction score
The X phone is following down the same path as the Bionic did. When it was first rumored the specs were ground breaking but after multiple months with delay after delay the phone finally came out with middle of the road specs that weren't competitive to the current market.

This phone is going to be a disappointment.